Lecturer, Teacher Education
Carrie Holmberg, Ed. D., is a lecturer in the Department of Teacher Education and
preservice teacher educator at San José State University. She taught at a Title I
comprehensive high school in Silicon Valley for nearly a decade and has extensive
experience mentoring new teachers. Carrie has twice earned her National Board Certification.
She also worked with the Stanford Partner School Induction Program and the Santa Cruz/Silicon
Valley New Teacher Program for many years.
Carrie earned her Ed.D. in Educational Leadership in 2017 from SJSU. Her scholarship has appeared in The English Journal, California English, Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, Educational Leadership, Phi Delta Kappan, Journal of Educational Measurement, and most recently, the 4th International Encyclopedia of Education. Carrie has served as chair of the Classroom Assessment Special Interest Group (SIG) for the American Educational Research Association (AERA).
- Ed.D., Educational Leadership, San José State University
- M.A., Education, Stanford Teacher Education Program, Stanford University
- B.A. English, Stanford University
- Duckor, B., & Holmberg, C. (February, 2023). Feedback for continuous improvement in the classroom: New perspectives, practices, and possibilities. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
- Duckor B. & Holmberg, C (2022). Examining conceptual frameworks for understanding teacher learning in the domain of formative assessment. In R. Tierney, F. Rizvi, & K. Ercikan (Eds.), International encyclopedia of education, 4th edition. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier
- Duckor, B. & Holmberg, C. (2022). Differentiated formative feedback for all: Learning from secondary math and science teachers about deep equity during a pandemic [Monograph]. CCTE Fall Research Monograph. San Francisco: California Council for Teacher Education.
- Holmberg, C. & Muwwakkil, J. (2020). Conversation in the classroom. Phi Delta Kappan, 101(5) 25-29.
- Duckor, B. & Holmberg, C. (2019/2020). 7 High-leverage formative assessment moves to support ELLs. Educational Leadership, 77(4), 46-52.
- Duckor, B. & Holmberg, C. (2019). Exploring how to model formative assessment trajectories of posing‐pausing‐probing practices: Toward a teacher learning progressions framework for the study of novice teachers. Journal of Educational Measurement. 56(4), 836-890.
- Duckor, B., & Holmberg, C. (2017). Mastering formative assessment moves: 7 high-leverage practices to advance student learning. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
- Duckor, B. & Holmberg, C. (2022, October). Differentiated formative feedback for all: Learning from secondary math and science teachers about deep equity during a pandemic. Round table presentation at the fall conference of the California Council for Teacher Education, San Diego, California.
- Duckor, B., Holmberg, C., Zhang, Y. (2020, March). Study of novice teacher learning progressions in posing, pausing and probing practices: A Multi- dimensional IRT analysis. Invited talk at the BEAR Seminar, University of California, Berkeley, California.
- Duckor, B., Holmberg, C., & Wilson, M. (2019, September). On teaching learning progressions: One framework, two cases, many pathways for research. Poster session presentation at National Council of Measurement in Education’s 3rd Annual Special Conference on Classroom Assessment, Boulder, CO.
- Duckor, B., Holmberg, C., Patthoff, A., & Barnes, N. (2019, September). A teacher learning progressions approach to understanding and improving teachers’ formative assessment practice. In B. Duckor (Chair), A teacher learning progressions approach to understanding and improving teachers’ formative feedback with English learners. Symposium presented at National Council of Measurement in Education’s 3rd Annual Special Conference on Classroom Assessment, Boulder, CO.
Noteworthy Grants and Awards
- Co-Principal Investigator, California Teacher Education Research and Improvement Network (CTERIN). Title of the Project: Understanding preservice teachers’ formative feedback practices in elementary, middle and high school classrooms in high needs contexts: A teacher learning progressions approach to building capacity for ELs in California. Sponsor: University of California.
- Assessment for Learning to Support Student Achievement: Learning Path of 9 Modules published by the California Collaborative for Educational Excellence
- "Episode 014: Drs. Brent Duckor & Carrie Holmberg, Formative Assessment" on Vrain Waves podcast
- Mastering Formative Assessment Moves: Making Real-Time Formative Assessment Moves That Make a Difference webinar hosted by ASCD
- "Assessment for Learning to Support Student Achievement" presentation at Lurie College of Education K-12 Online Teaching Academy
Areas of Research Interest
- Classroom assessment
- Formative assessment
- Teacher learning progressions
- Chair, Classroom Assessment SIG, American Educational Research Association, 2021-2022
- Program Chair, Classroom Assessment SIG, American Educational Research Association, 2020-2021
- Secretary/Treasurer, Classroom Assessment SIG, American Educational Research Association, 2019-2020
- Reviewer, American Educational Research Association, Classroom Assessment and Learning Environments SIGs
- Board Member (graduate student), California Educational Research Association Annual Conferences in Sacramento and Anaheim, California, 2016-2017