Andrea Golloher, PhD
Assistant Professor, Special Education
Associate Director, Early Childhood Institute
Dr. Golloher teaches courses in the Education Specialist and Master’s programs. Her research explores methods of supporting inclusive education, including the impact of teacher preparation and professional development on attitudes toward and beliefs about disability and inclusion. As Associate Director of the Early Childhood Institute (ECI), she engages in interdisciplinary research about, provides professional development to, and advocates for early childhood and the early childhood workforce.
- Ph.D., Joint Doctoral Program in Special Education, University of California, Berkeley, and San Francisco State University
- M.Ed., Early Childhood Special Education (Credential), Vanderbilt University
- B.A., Psychology, Washington University in St. Louis
- Golloher, A. (2020). Adapted shared reading: A study of its effectiveness in inclusive preschool classrooms. Journal of Special Education Apprenticeship, 9(2), 1-20.
- Golloher, A. N., & Middaugh, E. (2020, July). Diversity Dialogues: Online discussions impact on teacher candidates’ adoption of characteristics of inclusive teachers. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education.
Golloher, A. (2020, Feb 17). To provide quality care for infants and toddlers, California must pay teachers a worthy wage [Commentary]. CalMatters. https://calmatters.org/commentary/to-provide-quality-care-for-infants-and-toddlers-california-must-pay-teachers-a-worthy-wage/. Prepared by Slusser, E., Fusaro, M., & Golloher, A. (equal contributors).
- Love, M. L., Simpson, L. A., Golloher, A. N., Gadus, B., & Dorwin, J. (in press). Professional development to increase teacher capacity for the use of new technologies. Intervention in School and Clinic.
- Early Childhood Initiative (2019). Response to Governor Newsom’s Budget Proposal. Prepared and disseminated on behalf of SJSU’s Early Childhood Initiative. Prepared by Slusser, E., Fusaro, M., & Golloher, A. (equal contributors).
- Whitenack, D. A., Golloher, A. N., & Burciaga, R. (2019). Intersectionally Reculturing Educational Leader Preparation and Practice for All Students. Educational Leadership and Administration: Teaching and Program Development Journal, 31, 33-50.
- Golloher, A., & Middaugh, E. (2020, April). Diversity Dialogues: Online discussions to encourage the adoption of characteristics of inclusive teachers. San Francisco, CA: American Educational Research Association. https://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera20/ (conference cancelled)
- Fusaro, M., Golloher, A., Slusser, E. (2020, April). Supporting the early childhood workforce: Findings from a social network analysis and training needs assessment. San Francisco, CA: American Educational Research Association. https://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera20/ (conference cancelled)
- Love, M. L., Golloher, A. N., & Simpson, L. A. (2020, February). Preparing general and special educators through structured collaboration: Perceptions of preservice teachers. Council for Exceptional Children Annual Conference. Portland, Oregon: Council for Exceptional Children.
- Simpson, L. A., Golloher, A. N., & Love, M. L. (2020, February). Cross-disciplinary collaboration: Examining perspectives of preservice candidates. Council for Exceptional Children Annual Conference. Portland, Oregon: Council for Exceptional Children.
- Golloher, A. N., & Simpson, L. A. (2019, October). Co-teaching for educational equity. Inclusion Collaborative State Conference. San Jose, CA.
Noteworthy Grants and Awards
- Early Childhood STEM Education: Training and Ambassador Program, Co-PI; Funder: Santa Clara County Office of Education Local Planning Council. 2019-2020.
Areas of Research Interest
- Early childhood
- Universal design for learning
- Building Blocks for Teaching Preschoolers with Special Needs by Susan R. Sandall and Ilene S. Schwartz
- Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
- The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman
Listen to Andrea's playlist below and access all of the personality playlists on our Lurie College of Education Spotify account