Aubrey Uresti, PhD
Assistant Professor, Counselor Education
A California credentialed K-12 school counselor and a National Certified School Counselor, Aubrey Uresti has experience in all levels of K-12 education as a teacher, school counselor, therapist, supervisor, and consultant. She is a licensed professional clinical counselor (LPCC) and a National Certified Counselor. Her research focuses on the individual, family, and extended family-level experiences of adolescents who have a parent in jail or prison, as well as their meaning-making processes regarding parental incarceration. Additional research interests include urban education and school counseling, school-based support, grief and loss, peer victimization, child and adolescent development issues, and lifelong learning for counselors.
- Ph.D., Education (Learning and Mind Sciences), University of California, Davis
- M.A., Counseling (School Counseling and Marriage & Family Therapy), Saint Mary's College
- B.A., Sociology (minor in Critical Social Thought), San Francisco State University
- Uresti, A., & Thomas, S. R. (2020). Supporting K-12 students’ mental health through grief counseling. Presentation at the annual Northern California conference of the California Association of School Counselors (CASC), San Jose, CA.
- Uresti, A. (2019). Parental incarceration: Lessons from the child’s perspective. Presentation at the annual conference of the American School Counselor Association (ASCA), Boston, MA.
- Uresti, A., Thomas, S. R., & Smith, K. O. (2019). From one-on-one to groups: Grief counseling strategies. Presentation at the annual conference of the American School Counselor Association
(ASCA), Boston, MA.
- Uresti, A., & Thomas, S. R. (2019). Meaningful transitions: Theory-based strategies for supporting students’ comprehensive development. Presentation at the 2019 Meisha Education Forum, Vanke Meisha Academy, Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, China.
Areas of Research Interest
- Grief and loss
- K-12 school counseling
- Parental incarceration
- Qualitative research
- Urban education
- Visual methodologies
- Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter
- Peace is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thich Nhat Hanh
Listen to Aubrey's playlist below and access all of the personality playlists on our Lurie College of Education Spotify account