Janet Bang, PhD
Assistant Professor, Child & Adolescent Development
Janet Bang’s research focuses on how children learn language from their everyday interactions. Her work includes families from a variety of diverse backgrounds such as English-, French-, and Spanish-speaking families, as well as families with typically-developing children and children with developmental disorders. Through her research and teaching she strives to build an understanding of child development that is true to the rich array of individual and cultural differences within and across diverse communities. She is dedicated to using her research to empower families and educators with new insights into how to support children’s development.
- Ph.D., Communication Sciences and Disorders, McGill University
- B.S., Psychobiology, University of California, Los Angeles
- Bang, J., Sharda, M., & Nadig, A. (2020). Towards greater transparency in Neurodevelopmental Disorders research: Propensity scores to facilitate selection of matched groups. Journal of Neurodevelopmental Disorders, 12(1), 1-15.
- Bang, J. & Nadig, A. (2020). An investigation of word learning in the presence of
gaze: Evidence from school-age children with typical development or Autism Spectrum
Disorder. Cognitive Development, 54, 100847. doi: 10.1016/j.cogdev.2020.100847
- Cychosz, M., Romeo, R., Soderstrom, M., Scaff, C., Ganek, H., Cristia, A., Casillas, M., de Barbaro, K., Bang, J., & Weisleder, A. (2020). Longform recordings of everyday life: Ethics for best practices. Behavior Research Methods, 1-19.
- Bang, J., Adiao, A., Marchman, V., & Feldman, H. (2019). Language nutrition for language health in children with disorders: A scoping review. Pediatric Research, doi: 10.1038/s41390-019-0551-0
- Marchman, V., Bermudez, V., Bang, J., & Fernald, A. (2019). Off to a good start: Early Spanish-language processing efficiency supports Spanish- and English-language outcomes at 4 ½ years in sequential bilinguals. Developmental Science, e12973.
- Bang, J., Kachergis, G., Weislder, A., Marchman, V., & Fernald, A. (2020, June). Investigating features of child-directed versus other-directed speech in all-day recordings of English- and Spanish-speaking families. Poster presented at the International Congress of Infant Studies, Virtual Presentation.
- Bang, J., Munévar, M., Mora, A., Magallón, J., Marchman, V., & Fernald, A. (2020, June). The dynamics of everyday life: Caregiver-child verbal engagement during everyday activities in English- and Spanish-speaking families. Poster presented at the International Congress of Infant Studies, Virtual Presentation.
- Ramírez, J., Bohn, M., Bang, J., Marchman, V., & Fernald, A. (2020, June). The role
of verbal and nonverbal behaviors in children’s later language processing: Data from
Latino families in the US. Poster presented at the International Congress of Infant
Studies, Virtual Presentation.
- Feldman, H., Bang, J., & Dubner, S. (2019, September). Language Nutrition for Language
Health: Primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention. Talk presented at the Society
for Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, Washington D.C., USA.
- Bermudez, V., Marchman, V., Bang, J., & Fernald, A. (2019, March). Beyond overall exposure: In-home and out-of-home factors that support language outcomes in English and Spanish. Poster to be presented at the Society for Research in Child Development, Baltimore, MD, United States.
- Bermudez, V., Marchman, V., Bang, J., & Fernald, A. (2019, March). Links between language processing efficiency at 2 years and later academic achievement in Spanish-speaking Emerging bilinguals. Poster presented at the Society for Research in Child Development, Baltimore, MD, United States.
Noteworthy Grants and Awards
- Postdoctoral Support Award, Stanford Maternal and Child Health Research Institute (2019 - 2020)
- McGill MedStar Award (2016)
- Strategic Training Fellow in Autism Research, Autism Research Training Program, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (2013 - 2016)
Areas of Research Interest
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Child Development
- Community Engagement
- Language Development
- Language Input
- Word Learning
Listen to Janet's playlist below and access all of the personality playlists on our Lurie College of Education Spotify account