Jennifer Madigan, EdD
Professor Emerita, SJSU
Lecturer, Special Education and Teacher Education
Jennifer Madigan, Ed.D., is a lecturer in the College of Education, Department of Special Education at San Jose State University. Dr. Madigan was a professor at San Jose State University in the Department of Special Education from 2002 to 2018. She also served as an Assistant Professor in the University Hawaii Manoa Department of Special Education from 2016-2020. Prior to her position in the College of Education, Dr. Madigan taught for thirteen years throughout the greater San Francisco Bay Area Bay Area, in a range of Kindergarten through 12th grade special and general education settings. As an educator, she had the opportunity to serve students and families from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds in a variety of urban and suburban schools. Dr. Madigan's work in schools included the inclusion of children with special needs in general education settings, and more recently, research on the effects of single-gender special education for female students identified with mild to moderate disabilities.
- Ed.D., Special Education, University of San Francisco
- Education Specialist: Mild to Moderate Disabilities ELA
- Single Subject Teacher Credential
- Elementary Education Bilingual Teacher Credential
- M.Ed, Notre Dame de Namur University
- Madigan, J. C. & Scroth-Cavataio, G. (2013). Mentorship of Special Educators. Corwin Press: Thousand Oakes, CA.
- Farren, P., Hancock, J., Madigan, J., Walencewizc, P. (2019). West Hawaii Co-Teaching
Project: Stories from the Field. West Hawaii Education Summit: Waimea, HI.
- Madigan, J., Souza, A. & Kim, j. (2018). SEED Project: Retaining Native Hawaiian Special Education Teachers. Paper presented at Teacher Education Division of Council for Exceptional Children National Conference: Las Vegas, NV.
Noteworthy Grants and Awards
- Fulbright Specialist: Institute of International Education, June 2016-2021
- SEED Grant: University of Hawaii Manoa Spring 2018
Areas of Research Interest
- Mild-to-moderate disabilities
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
- Educated by Tara Westover
- Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg
- The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
Listen to Jennifer's playlist below and access all of the personality playlists on our Lurie College of Education Spotify account