Lara Ervin-Kassab, EdD
Assistant Professor, Teacher Education
The construction and composition of personal and professional identities of teachers shapes every classroom experience for students from preschool to post-graduate. Dr. Kassab is intrigued by how educators reflect upon and engage in developing their teaching selves in complex and changing contexts.
- Ed.D., Learning and Instruction, University of San Francisco
- M.A., Anthopology (focus on education), CSU Fullerton
- B.A., History, Holy Names University
- A.A., General Education, DeAnza College
- Social Science/English Credential, San Francisco State University
- Karathanos-Aguilar, K. K., & Ervin-Kassab, L. E. (2020). Professional Growth Among Mentor Teachers in a Co-Teaching Model of Preservice Education. The CCTE SPAN 2020 Research Monograph, 34–41.
- Ervin-Kassab, L. E. (2020). Why We Gather. S-STEP Newsletter.
- Swanson, P., Rabin, C., Smith, G., Briceño, A., Ervin-Kassab, L., Sexton, D., ...
& Asato, J. (2019). Trust your team: Our journey to embed social and emotional learning
in a teacher education program focused on social justice. Teacher Education Quarterly, 46(4), 67-91.
- Sexton, D. M., Kassab, L. E., Briceno, A., & Swanson, P. E. (2019). What Drives Us?:
Balancing Our Identity as a Socially Just and Culturally Sustaining Teacher Preparation
Program with New State Standards and Assessments.
Teacher Education Quarterly.
- Ervin-Kassab, L., Roddick, C., Vickery, A., & Tapper, J. (Accepted manuscript 2019) Claim-rule-connection: Justifying reasoning. Mathematics Teacher. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Kassab, L. E., & Drouin, S. (2020, April). MicroCommunities of Practice. AERA 2020. San Francisco, CA: AERA.
- Kassab, L. E., Markowitz, N. L., Melnick, H., & Swanson, P. E. (2020, Spring). Preparing Teachers to Support Social and Emotional Learning: From the University to the Classroom. AACTE Spring Conference. Atlanta Georgia: AACTE.
- Escalante, K., Soojinda, D., Reising, A., & Kassab, L. E. (2019, October). Developing Educators Who Are Literate in Equity and Inclusion: The California Teacher
Performance Assessment (CalTPA). The California Council on
Teacher Education Fall Conference. San Diego, CA: The California Council on Teacher Education.
- Ervin-Kassab, L. (2019, March). TPEs, TPAs, TPACK, and TETCs: Working together to integrate technology into a methods
course. In Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference
(pp. 571-574). Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Johnson-Leslie, N., Li, L., Grion, V., & Kassab, L. (2019, March). Technology-facilitated Formative Assessment. In Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference
(pp. 182-188). Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Escalante, K., Soojinda, D., Reising, A., & Ervin-Kassab, L. (2019, October). Developing educators who are literate in equity and inclusion: The California Teaching Performance Assessment (CalTPA). California Council for Teacher Education Conference. San Diego, CA.
Areas of Research Interest
- Assessment literacy
- Communities of practice
- Culturally sustaining pedagogies
- Educator professional development
- Teacher identity
- Technological pedagogical content knowledge
- The Skin That We Speak: Thoughts on Language and Culture in the Classroom by Lisa Delpit
- What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy by James Paul Gee
- Why Don't Students Like School?: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom by Daniel Willingham
Listen to Lara's playlist below and access all of the personality playlists on our Lurie College of Education Spotify account