Connie L. Lurie Early Childhood Education Scholarship
Thanks to the generous support from our college's namesake, Connie Lurie, our college is able to award several scholarships to future early childhood educators pursuing an undergraduate degree in Child and Adolescent Development with an Early Childhood Focus or a teaching credential in Early Childhood Special Education.
- Students must be enrolled in the Early Childhood Pathway in Child and Adolescent Development or the Early Childhood Special Education teacher credential program.
- Students must be in their final (or near final) term in their degree or credential program, with an anticipated graduation date in Spring or Summer. (ChAD students: To be eligible, submit your application for graduation via MySJSU before the scholarship due date.) Those who are graduating after Summer will be able to apply for this award in the general SJSU and Lurie College scholarship application process during the Spring semester.
- This $3500 award is intended to offset tuition, fees, and expenses for students with high financial need.
If you have any follow up questions, you may email email@example.com.
Meet a few of our scholarship recipients - Athena, Martha, and Cyra.
- 0:00 - Meet Athena, Martha, and Cyra
- 0:34 - What has motivated you to pursue a career in early childhood teaching and education?
- 1:46 - How is the Lurie College and ChAD enabling you to make progress towards your hopes, dreams, and goals?
- 3:26 - From your perspective, how might high-quality early childhood education promote equity, inclusion, and/or social justice?
- 6:00 - How will the events of the past year or so shaped your identity, philosophy, and pedagogy as you progress through your academic program and career?
- 8:12 - What's one piece of advice you have for anyone who is applying for our Early Childhood Teacher Scholarship?
Meet Our Transformative ChAD Students
Child and Adolescent Development (ChAD) students are deeply engaged in their communities and committed to social justice with their students. Meet a few of our students who have recently received other Lurie College grants and scholarships.
Jacqueline Lopez Rivas, recipient of the College of Education Scholarship Endowment award, was selected as the student speaker for the Fall 2020 SJSU Lurie College of Education Graduation Celebration. Watch the full recording of the ceremony above and watch her remarks at 26:30.
Recent alumni Melody Mann, recipient of the Hazel Cilker Smith and Marion Sarah Cilker Scholarship Fund award, published the research article “Understanding Child Noncompliance in the Early Care Setting” in the SJSU McNair Scholars Program Research Journal. Read the article at bit.ly/32gj4Ba.
Jennifer Villegas Lopez was selected as one of the recipients for the Florian and Grace Niemcziek Endowment award. Learn more about her experiences in academic and student life.
Luz Nicacio and Liliana Adler received a Lurie College grant to attend the annual Latinx Leads conference. Learn more about how their experiences at the conference have shaped them going forward.