We all know a colleague, student, alumnus, faculty or staff member who has been excelling at what they do. At the Davidson College of Engineering, we like to publicly recognize that person’s achievements and accomplishments. This person is an example for everybody in our community, and we hold our annual awards ceremony to honor them.
Here are the awards we will present this year:
- Alumni Award of Distinction - Recognizes an individual who has achieved superior professional accomplishments and/or has demonstrated outstanding citizenship through significant community or professional service.
- Dean's Service Award - Recognizes an alumnus or alumna who has achieved superior professional accomplishments and/or has demonstrated outstanding citizenship through significant community or professional service.
- The Newnan Brothers Award for Faculty Excellence - Recognizes outstanding achievement by faculty members who demonstrate excellence in some combination of teaching, service to students, and/or research. The College of Engineering’s Dr. Don Newnan, and his brother, Dean, created this award in 2007 and are the sponsors.
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching - Recognizes sustained excellence in teaching as evidenced by versatility of assignments, performance of students in subsequent courses and as graduates, development of new courses and educational innovation.
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Service - Recognizes faculty with exceptional service to students, a department, the college, the university or to the community.
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Scholarship - Recognizes the accomplishment of research on significant and original contributions to knowledge. The award criteria includes quality of refereed publications and recognition through awards of professional societies.
- Award for Outstanding Lecturer - Recognizes excellence in teaching a variety of courses, designing course and lab experience reflecting workplace environments, mentoring students and developing innovative curricula.
- Staff Award for Excellence in Service - Recognizes a staff member who performed exemplary service to students, a department, the college or university. Recognition may be given for a particular significant accomplishment or for sustained service accomplishments.
- The Scott T. Axline Memorial Student Award for Excellence in Service - Recognizes students who have demonstrated exceptional service to fellow students, their major department, the College of Engineering, the University, the community, or a professional organization. Must be in good academic standing.
- The Donald Beall-Rockwell Student Award for Engineering Accomplishment - Recognizes exceptional achievement in either the senior project for undergraduate students, or for a project or thesis for graduate students.