Proctorio Faculty Resources
- What is Proctorio
Proctorio is one of online proctoring solutions that you can use to ensure exam security and integrity. You may record students' video, audio, and computer screen when students take a Proctorio exam. When the exam is ended, you can view Proctorio Gradebook in Quizzes.
All students can start the exam at the same time by accessing Canvas Quizzes; and, they don't need to schedule an exam appointment to take a Proctorio remote exam.
- How to prepare your students get ready
- To add Proctorio exam information and resources to your Canvas course and syllabus
- To advise your students to access our Proctorio Student Resources
- To create a 10-15 minute remotely Proctorio practice quiz
- To inform students about taking a proctored exam requirements: For example, students
- must use webcam and microphone (if any)
- will be video, audio, or/and screen recorded during the exam (if any)
- should have a student ID for Proctorio to confirm their identity
- must install Chrome and Proctorio Chrome prior to take a Proctorio exam
- are allowed (or not allowed) to bring devices and notes
- must ensure their computer meets the system requirements
- Where to start
- To fill out a request form to eCampus for using Proctorio tool
- After Proctorio tool has been added to your Canvas course by eCampus, you can set up a Proctorio exam in Canvas Quizzes
- System requirements
Proctorio only works on Google Chrome web browser, and it requires users to have the Proctorio Chrome extension installed with Chrome. Before set up a Proctorio exam in Canvas, you must
- Ensure your computer meet Proctorio minimum system requirements
- Install Google Chrome
- Install the latest Proctorio Chrome extension
- What does the exam settings look like
- The exam settings are organized into four options: record video, lock down, verification, and in Tool. and you can adjust the settings depending on your exam methods. Here is a link to an example of Proctorio exam settings [pdf].
- During the exam time
- Be available to allow students ask you questions (if needed)
- After the end of the exam, you can
- View Proctorio Gradebook [pdf] to review the suspicious behavior levels of the exam takers (if any)
- FAQs & Troubleshooting
Can all students take the exam at the same time? Yes
Do students need to schedule an exam appointment before taking a Proctorio exam? No
How to reinstall or update the Proctorio Chrome extension? Remove the Proctorio Chrome extension on your computer first and install the latest version.
If I have questions about a Proctorio exam, how can I get tech support? Live Chat
How to access Live Chat?
- Click the Shield icon in your Google Chrome web browser
- Click Live Chat button to connect with Proctorio support to get help
Paper Exam Settings Example
If you plan to have a paper exam and require your students to download a .pdf file, you may check out the exam settings example below. However, you can make adjustments based on your exam needs and have a practice Proctorio quiz with your students before taking a Proctorio exam.
If you plan to host a Zoom meeting during the exam time, it may be doable (based on your exam settings.) However, your students should join your Zoom meeting before entering a Proctorio exam. Question? Please fill an iSupport ticket or email the CoE Instructional Designer at firstname.lastname@example.org Thanks!
Proctorio Official Web Resources
To access Proctorio official web resources listed below, you will need to login to your Canvas course (with Google Chrome) first.
- Recommended settings for popular exam types
- Recommended setting for open computer resources exam, open notes exam (physically), etc.
College of Engineering Instructional Design Proctorio Resources
- How to enable Proctorio Exam in Quizzes
Step 1: Log in to your Canvas account and click the Quizzes tab to set up your quiz
Step 2: When you scroll down to the Quiz Restrictions session, enter a check in the checkbox of Enable Proctorio Secure Exam Proctor
Step 3: Click Proctorio Settings link to start Proctorio exam settings
- Exam settings for a paper exam
Step 1: The Proctorio exam settings are organized into four options (record video, lockdown, verification, and tools). You can adjust the settings by clicking the tile to enable/disable an option depending on your exam methods. Once an option has been enabled, the tile will turn light blue.
Question? If you have questions about an individual exam setting option, you can move your cursor to the top right corner of the tile and click the blue question mark, it will open a resource page with explanation.
<Important> If your students need to download a file or access other electronic resources, you will need to disable the Force Full Screen, No New Tabs (you may select the In-Quiz Links Only option and see how it works), and Block Downloads options.
* Record Screen: will record students' screens (Students must have a webcam.) (You’ll have evidence for any file students open.)
* Web Traffic: will record any webpages students visit during the exam
* Force Full Screen: will expand the window to fit the entire screen (If you want your students to access other files, you should disable this option.)
* No New Tabs: disable No New Tabs will impact if students can access additional tabs during the exam. If you enable this feature, students will not be able to open another browser. And, It has a “In Quiz Links” feature which will allow students to open specific links or web pages.
* Only One Screen: will prevent students to access multiple screens
* Close Open Tabs: will force students to close the tabs before taking the exam
* Disable Printing: will prevent students from printing the exam
* Clear Cache: clear any files stored in the browser and computer after students complete the exam
* Verification Options: will confirm if students’ webcam, microphone, and desktop are working properly
Step 2: View Exam Settings Summary
Step 3: Abnormal Behaviors Settings will allow you to determine the level of suspicious behaviors students have during the exam, and you can review the result after the exam ends. If you select the Recommended option, the Behavior Settings will be automatically set up based on the exam settings you’ve selected.
However, you can choose the Custom option to customize the weight of individual behavior and set up the exact behavior profile that works best for your assessments.
Step 4: The Proctorio Exam Metrics setup will allow you to check students’ suspicious exam behavior during the exam.
Step 5: This Technical Abnormalities setup will alert you when the student has taken significantly more or less time with this exam when compared to the other students. In the end, please click the Save button to save the exam settings and/or click save this Proctorio profile for future references after you have completed your exam setup.
- How to view Proctorio Gradebook
The Proctorio Gradebook will present students' suspicious information. When the Proctorio exam ends, you can click this exam to view the exam result.
Step 1: Click View Proctorio Gradebook
Step 2: Click the Proctorio Gradebook column to view students exam information
Step 3: Click the tabs to view the suspicious report of each student