Requirements for Admission
Photo: Former graduate student, Zoha Lambert investigating the complexities of redwood forest canopy structure
“I think one of the main attributes of the program is its people, students and faculty. The collaborative spirit of most involved were a source of inspiration for me.”
— Vagelis Vassos, Former Graduate Student
Contact the Graduate Program Coordinator
For more information about the Master of Science degree in Environmental Studies, please contact the Graduate Program Coordinator, Dr. Rachel O'Malley, at email@example.com.
The following list describes the minimum requirements for admission to the Environmental
Studies Department. Please check the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE) website for university-level requirements.
- Research interests that complement those of faculty thesis chairs in the Environmental Studies Department at SJSU.
- An undergraduate degree in:
- Environmental Studies or Science
- Another field: Students who have completed a major in another field may be accepted as "conditionally classified." Conditionally classified students will be required to complete prerequisites or meet other conditions before they are able to apply for classified standing. Conditions typically include up to 15 units from the Preparation and Environmental Studies BS core requirements, with a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Capability, in the opinion of the Graduate Committee, of successfully completing the degree requirements.
- A minimum 3.0 (B) overall grade point average for the last 60 semester units of academic study at an accredited institution.
- For all students who graduated from a higher education institution outside of the
U.S., an English-language proficiency exam is required. All test scores must be less than two years old. Test scores must be
sent directly from the testing office to San José State University (SJSU Institution
Code is 4687; Department Code is 0502).
- Exams accepted:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): acceptable scores are 580 (paper-based), 237 (computer-based), 92 (internet-based) for foreign students
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- For further information in regards to applying as an international student, please view the International Steps to Admissions page or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Exams accepted:
- No other standardized tests are required (e.g. GRE)