First Semester Student Change of Major

First-Semester Freshmen

During summer orientation, an advisor will work with you to plan your first semester. This is for students who want to transition out of the college of Engineering. Advising will also be clarified for students who want to switch their major to a different department within the College of Engineering.


First-Semester Transfer Students

Transfer students should follow the Above 90 Units change of major process in their second semester at SJSU. Departments usually want to see how applicants do their first semester. If possible, talk to a major department advisor in the middle of the first semester to begin the process. This will give the student an idea of the liklihood he or she may be approved for a change of major.

Remember that acceptance into the major after transferring is not guaranteed and will delay graduation. Upper division major courses, for example, require that students are in the major for which the course is intended. It is highly recommended that you talk to the department for course recommendation as soon as possible.