Journal Transfers

 There are four types of transfers which can be performed in FTS: Budget Transfer, Expense Transfer, Interdepartmental Expense Transfer, and Hospitality Payment. Each type of transfer allows a department the ability to move an expense or budget from one chartfield string to another and pay another campus department for services/products received. Transfers are reviewed and approved by an Approving Official in FTS.

Access to FTS is granted by Administrative Applications Office after required courses are completed. See Financial Transaction Services Roles and Access for more information about access and training.

Some reasons why a budget or expense transfer journals are entered: 

    • to correct an expense paid of out the wrong chartfield string.
    • move budget to cover a future or pending expense that will occur within the same fiscal year.
    • obtain a reimbursement from an auxiliary for an expense paid out of university funds.1
    • to transfer all or a portion of an expense or a budget to another department.
    • to pay another department for services received.

Backup Documentation

Unlike the Travel and Purchasing/Payment modules in FTS, there is no upload feature in Transfers to attach support backup documentation. Departments are to maintain backup documentation pertaining to the transfer in their office.

FTS Email Notifications 

When a transfer has been submitted for approval by the Requestor, an email notification is sent to the Approving Official for the DeptID being charged (debit side). The Requestor will receive notification when the transfer has been approved or cancelled by the Approving Official.

Accounting Services

There may be instances when a journal transaction cannot be performed in FTS by the department (i.e., certain Account Codes are not available to select in FTS) or when there are many entries to be made. Accounting Services can assist in posting the transfers for you through a journal upload. For more information see Journal Entry Upload Requests.


 1  For more information, see Auxiliary Organization Billing