FAQ about MSE in general

Who are the MSE advisor and how should I reach them?

We have two MSE advisors:   Prof. Ahmed Hambaba (ahmed.hambaba@sjsu.edu) and Prof. Ping Hsu (ping.hsu@sjsu.ed).   The best way to reach them is to send them an email. 


What/how many units or courses does the MSE program require?

MSE program requires 30 units.  This 30 units includes 12 units from 4 required courses and 18 units (6 courses) from approved elective units.   The 4 required courses are:

  1. ENGR 201 Engineering Analysis
  2. ENGR 202 Systems Engineering (GWAR)
  3. ENGR 295A Master Project I
  4. ENGR 295B Master Project II


How long will it take me to complete the program?

If you take 9 units (3 courses) every semester, the MSE program can be completed in 2 years.


Are there any scholarship opportunities in MSE?

Currently, MSE does not offer scholarships to students. There are student assistant positions and other on-campus work opportunities. However, these opportunities are typically only offered to current students, not incoming students.


I am an international student. Would I be eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) after I graduated from MSE program?



When can I start my Curricular Practical Training (CPT)? 

The required conditions for MSE students to start CPT are as follows:

  1. Completed all admission conditions.
  2. Overall SJSU GPA 3.0 or better. 
  3. Be a classified MSE graduate student. 
  4. Must be in full-time status for one academic year (2 semesters). 
  5. Enroll in a 3-unit ENG298I.

Additional information about CPT can be found here.