Professor Emeritus: Sedimentology, Sedimentary Petrology
Phone: 408 924-5014
Office: DH 307
- Dr. Andersen completed the faculty early retirement program in Spring of 2017 and no longer accepts graduate students.
- Ph.D. 1973, University of Utah
- Current projects emphasize tectonics and sedimentation in the California Coast Ranges.
- Petrology (GEOL 122)
- Sedimentology and Stratigraphy (GEOL 124)
- Geochemistry (GEOL 135)
- Sedimentary Petrology and Petrography (GEOL 214)
- Advanced Sedimentary Geology (GEOL 222)
- Cenozoic Evolution of the San Francisco Bay Area (GEOL 285)
Recent Activity (2011-2016)
- Andersen, D.W., *Shostak, N.C., *Locke, K.M., *Ramstetter, N.P., and Metzger, E.P., 2016, Composition of sediment records late Quaternary paleogeographic evolution of Santa Clara Valley, California: Geosphere, v. 12, no. 2, DOI: 10.1130/GES01259.1.
- Langenheim, V.E. Jachens, R.C., Wentworth, C.M., Graymer, R.W., Stanley, R.G., McLaughlin, R.J., Simpson, R.W., Williams, R.A., Andersen, D.W., and Ponce, D.A., 2015, A summary of the late Cenozoic stratigraphic and tectonic history of the Santa Clara Valley, California: Geosphere, v. 11, p. 50-62.
- Andersen, D.W., *Holland, P.J., and *Albert, K.A., 2016, Composition and significance of Pleistocene gravel units in the foothills southeast of San Francisco Bay, California: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 48, no. 4, DOI: 10.1130/abs/2016CD-274573.
- Andersen, D.W., 2011, Awarded Honorary Life Membership in Pacific Section Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM).
Other Professional Service
- Andersen, D.W., January-December 2013, Ongoing documentation of fossil occurrences in outcrops, trenches, and boreholes in the Santa Clara Formation; collaboration with US Geological Survey, San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, and CSU East Bay.
- Andersen, D.W., 2011, Hosted Bay Area Science Festival at Children's Discovery Museum, San Jose.