Program Learning Objectives and Assessment Schedule for all Undergraduate Degrees in Geology
Program Learning Objectives
There are six Primary Learning Objectives (PLOs) for the B.S. Geology degree, the AS-T Geology degree, or Geology minor. Students who earn any of the aforementioned three degrees will possess the ability to:
1. Develop the skill to read and accurately interpret topographic and geologic maps.
2. Effectively communicate scientific ideas and results in writing.
3. Use the fundamentals of chemistry, physics, and math to solve geologic problems.
4. Classify and identify geological materials such as minerals, rocks, and fossils, and understand their relationships to each other and interacting earth systems.
5. Visualize and comprehend geologic structures and processes.
6. Understand how geologists measure deep time and reconstruct earth history.
The following geology courses focus on enhancing the student's abilities toward each respective PLO. Courses marked with an asterisk are used for assessment:
|PLO #||Introductory||Reinforcement||Capstone||University Learning Goals §|
|1||GEOL 1, 7, 28||125*||129*||#1|
|2||GEOL 1, 7, 28||120, 124*||129||#3|
|3||GEOL 1, 7||120*, 122*, 124, 125||129||#1, #3, #4|
|4||GEOL 1, 7, 28||120*, 122*, 124*, 125||129*||#1, #3, #4|
|5||GEOL 1, 7, 28||122*, 124*, 125*||129||#1, #3|
|6||GEOL 1, 7, 28||124||129*||#1, #2, #3, #4|
*Course used for assessment of PLO
§ University Learning Goal #5 is addressed through GE offerings. Within the B.S. Geology degree, Geology 1 and Geology 7 have assignments that address University Learning Goal #5.
The following table is the Geology Department's six-year assessment schedule for the six PLOs for the three undergraduate degrees:
Download Program Learning Objectives for AS-T Geology (PDF) (under construction)
Download Curriculum Roadmap and Six-Year Assessment Schedule for B.S. Geology (PDF)
Download Provisional Schedule for Undergraduate, Elective Undergraduate, and Graduate Courses (PDF) - Posted 03/01/2019