Powering Silicon Valley
San José State University is Silicon Valley’s number one source of graduates in education, engineering, computer science and business. Companies in Silicon Valley employ more graduates from SJSU than from any other university in the U.S.
Located on 154 acres in downtown San José, the university offers the excitement of studying at a large, metropolitan campus where many cultures meet. Yet students find personal attention from faculty members in the smaller settings of the university's eight colleges. San José is a newly revitalized city which hosts major sports, the arts, museums and restaurants serving a wide variety of cuisines. The Santa Cruz coastline is less than an hour away; San Francisco is one hour to the north.
San Jose State University has many famous alumni in the fields of Business, Education, Journalism, Literature, Politics, Science and Engineering, Sports, as well as Olympic Medal winners. They include people such as Gordon Moore, founder of Intel Corporation; Ray Dolby, founder of Dolby Sound Systems; Ed Oates, co-founder of Oracle; Omid Kordestani, Senior VP for Global Sales at Google; Amy Tan, author of “The Joy Luck Club;” Dian Fossey, author of “Gorillas in the Mist;” and many more. We are very proud of their achievements.
Founded in 1857, San Jose State University is the oldest public institution of higher education on the West Coast. It began as a school that trained elementary school teachers. Over the years, it has developed into a university with nine colleges that specialize in arts, sciences, education, humanities and more. Each college has schools and programs that offer specific areas of study. Together, these colleges create a powerful university that provides high-quality education to students and the community.
Ranking and Points of Pride
San Jose State University is also among the top 200 schools in the United States for total research and development. Every year, hundreds of government agencies, businesses, and private organizations work with SJSU faculty and specialists to perform research, public service and community projects, consulting, and other specialized educational activities. SJSU researchers work together with graduate and undergraduate student assistants to help make the world a better place.
- The founding campus in the California State University (CSU) system.
- #1 university in the U.S. for “Most Silicon Valley Hires.” (Business Insider).
- Ranks #6 among all public universities in the Western U.S. (U.S. News).
- Ranks #17 in the U.S. of colleges with the “Best Return on Investment” (BestColleges).
- One of the top 10 “Best Value Colleges in California.” (Payscale).
- Ranks #1 for “Top Master’s Colleges & Universities Hosting International Students” in the U.S. (IIE Open Doors Data
- AACSB accredited Lucas Graduate School of Business ranks in the “Best 295 Business Schools.” (Princeton Review).
- College of Engineering ranks #3 among public engineering programs offering bachelor and master degrees. (U.S. News and World Report).
- Alumni employment ranks #1 at Apple and Cisco, #2 at Adobe, #8 at Facebook and #10 at Google. (LinkedIn University Finder).
- San Jose State’s student body reflects the diversity of the Bay Area, one of the most diverse regions in the world.
- San Jose State’s Division I Athletics teams earned an all-time high Academic Progress Rate (APR) from the NCAA.