Founded in 1857, San José State University is the oldest public institution of higher education on the West Coast. It began as a school that trained elementary school teachers. Over the years, it has developed into a university with nine colleges that specialize in arts, sciences, education, humanities and more. Each college has schools and programs that offer specific areas of study. Together, these colleges create a powerful university that provides high-quality education to students and the community.
Powering Silicon Valley
Located on 154 acres in downtown San José, the university offers the excitement of studying at a large, metropolitan campus where many cultures meet. San José is a newly revitalized city that hosts major sports, arts, museums, and restaurants serving a wide variety of cuisines. The Santa Cruz coastline is less than an hour away; and San Francisco is only one hour to the north.
San José State University is Silicon Valley’s number one source of graduates in education, engineering, computer science, and business. Companies in Silicon Valley employ more graduates from SJSU than from any other university in the U.S. SJSU alumni employment ranks high among many Fortune 500 companies (#1 at Apple and Cisco, #2 at Adobe, #8 at Facebook, #10 at Google).
San Jose State University is also among the top 200 schools in the United States for total research and development. Every year, hundreds of government agencies, businesses, and private organizations work with SJSU faculty and students to perform research, consulting, public service and community projects, and other specialized educational activities.
With more than 3,000 international students from over 100 countries, SJSU is also the top university hosting international students among master-granting schools in the U.S. SJSU’s student body reflects the diversity of the Bay Area, one of the most diverse regions in the world.
Ranking and Points of Pride
- #1 Most Transformative Universities (Money Magazine)
- #7 Top Public Universities in the Western U.S. (U.S. News)
- #8 Most Innovative Universities (U.S. News)
- #10 Best Undergraduate Teaching (U.S. News)
- #3 College of Engineering ranking among public engineering programs offering bachelor’s and master’s degrees. (U.S. News and World Report)
- #20 U.S. of colleges with the “Best Return on Investment” (BestColleges)
- #2 Best Graduate Schools of Education among universities in the CSU system
- One of the top 15 “Best Value Colleges in California.” (Payscale)
- AACSB accredited Lucas Graduate School of Business ranks in the “Best 244 Business Schools” (Princeton Review)