Disqualification and Reinstatement

There are several types of probation, the types that students will typically encounter are academic probation, and administrative-academic probation.



Disqualification is disenrollment from the University, and restriction from enrolling in courses at SJSU.

Disqualification comes as a result of failing to satisfy the respective requirements of probationary policies, whether it might be failing to earn an SJSU cumulative GPA of 2.0 on academic probation or failing to rectify the reason for administrative-academic probation.


Disqualification As a Result of Academic Probation

Students on academic probation can be disqualified by failing to achieve a term GPA of 2.0 while on academic probation. Students will be notified about their disqualification, and must go through a process of reinstatement and readmission to be a fully matriculated student again.

I was disqualified. What do I do? Speak with an advisor as soon as possible. The advisor will help you develop a plan that will outline the next steps and what you can do.

Typically, freshmen and sophomores disqualified will finish their remaining lower division requirements at a community college, and then take courses through OpenU until their SJSU cumulative GPA rises above 2.0. You will want to speak with an advisor to plan your road to return.

SJSU Catalog Page on Academic Disqualification →


Disqualification as a Result of Administrative-Academic Probation

Students on administrative-academic probation can be disqualified for several reasons including if they:

  • do not meet the requirements that first placed them on administrative-academic probation;

  • become subject to academic probation while on administrative-academic probation.

I was disqualified. What do I do? Speak with an advisor as soon as possible. The advisor will help you develop a plan that will outline the next steps and what you can do.

SJSU Catalog Page on Administrative-Academic Disqualification →



Reinstatement is the process of declaring a formal status of good academic standing. There are several categories/reasons to justify reinstatement, the most common of which is raising the SJSU cumulative GPA to 2.0 or above.

Students will be required to petition for reinstatement [pdf] in order to facilitate and complete the process.

Reinstatement on the Registrar's page →



Readmission is a different process from reinstatement. Readmission involves the process of applying to and returning specifically to SJSU, while reinstatement is to formally return to good academic standing and have that reflected on your transcript.

Can I be readmitted without being reinstated? No, except under special consideration which is conditional under very specific circumstances. Consult the Office of the Registrar's page on reinstatement linked above.

Can I be reinstated but not return to SJSU? Yes. We recommend that students intending to attend a different 4-year institution should at least be reinstated to have formal good academic standing before attending a different institution. Coming back to SJSU is up to you.

I was disqualified after a few years. What paperwork should I fill out for readmission? We recommend you follow this petition for reinstatement as a former student returning (FSR) [pdf]. It will outline the process of returning.