Major & Career Exploration
Throughout your journey here at SJSU, you may begin to wonder begin to wonder, “Is
this major or career the right fit for me?” and “What Can I Do with this Major?”.
How can you further explore different opportunities, and how can you move forward
It’s okay to feel what you are feeling, whether it be nervousness, anxiousness, or determination. Many students go through a very similar process.
- What are you good at?
- What is your end goal?
- What population do you want to work in?
- What kind of work are you interested in?
- What do you value?
If you cannot find an answer now, don't worry. It just means it is not exactly clear to you yet, and that's fine. You will eventually find your answer.
→ Identify what majors align with these interests.
Take the Focus 2→ Career Assessment to learn more about your Passions, Interests, and Work ValuesYourself:
Do Your Research
- Meet with a Student Success Center Advisor or Major Advisor to learn about different majors and the Change of Major Process.
- Meet with a major advisor to learn more about the major.
- Do you need to or want to change your major?
- How long would it take you to graduate?
- What are additional paths you can take to achieve the same career outcome?
- What can I do with this major?
- What majors can lead to this career?
Check Out: What Can I Do With This Major?
- Conduct informational interviews with professionals in the field to learn more about their work and industry.
- Research jobs, career opportunities, and job requirements online.
SJSU^2 Mentoring - Connect With A Professional In Your Field! →
Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) - Learn About Different Careers and Occupations →
Family, friends, alumni, professionals
Make Your Move
If a Change of Major is needed, make sure to check in with the major advisor of the new department to understand and begin the process. A formal Change of Major Petition is required.
If your major does not exactly align with your career, consider the following ways to help you prepare for your future career:
Apply for a minor
Utilize your GE's and elective courses to gain skills or to fulfill prerequisites
Apply for a job/internship
Participate in student orgs
Develop your own personal projects
Remember! It's okay to not know what you want to do with your career immediately. Do your research and take the next step that makes sense for you!