Academic Probation

There are several types of probation, the types that students will typically encounter are academic probation, and administrative-academic probation.


Academic Probation

Academic probation is the result of having a cumulative SJSU GPA lower than 2.0. Academic probation only takes into account the performance of classes taken at SJSU, and transferred course grades do not impact the GPA used to determine probation.

While on probation, students need to make an effort to earn a term GPA (semester GPA) of at least 2.0 in order to remain enrolled at SJSU. If at any point a student fails to earn a term GPA of 2.0 while on probation, they may be disqualified.

I'm not doing well this semester. Will I be on probation? One poor semester does not always put someone on probation. Students with a history of struggling in courses or without a long history of coursework (first-semester freshman, first-semester transfer) may be more at-risk. Speak with an advisor about your concern.

What happens if I am on probation? The H&A Student Success Center will contact you about the Bounce-Back Program, which will help you return to good academic standing.

How can probation impact me? In several ways, including eligibility for merit-based scholarships or need-based scholarships that require a minimum GPA, ability to get internships, and students cannot graduate with a GPA below 2.0.

My GPA is above 2.0, but I was still placed on probation. Why? There is more than one type of probation. It is possible that you failed to finish a specific requirement (e.g. did not complete A2 and B4 in your first year). See this section on administrative-academic probation.

SJSU Catalog Page on Academic Probation â†’



Administrative-Academic Probation

Administrative-academic probation is another form of probation that can result from various reasons. The three main reasons are:

  • withdrawing from a substantial portion of curriculum in two successive or any three terms without compelling paperwork;

  • repeated failure to make progress towards degree, including 15 units of "NC," without compelling paperwork; or

  • failure to comply with a University routine requirement after due notice, an example of which is failing to satisfy A2 and B4 by end of first year.

I am on administrative-academic probation. What do I do? You will want to discuss your probation status with an advisor. Ensure that you have all necessary/applicable documentation or paperwork addressing your situation.

SJSU Catalog Page on Administrative-Academic Probation â†’


Bounce-Back Program (BBP)

The Bounce-Back Program is the H&A Student Success Center's mandatory system to help guide students on probation to return to good academic standing.

In the Bounce-Back Program, you can expect to be assigned to a specific advisor, who will provide you specialized support tailored to your own unique situation, and help direct you to resources to help you find strategies to succeed.

What will be required in the BBP? The BBP will involve participation in a set of Canvas activities, including workshops, and creating an action plan with your assigned academic advisor.

Is BBP a class? Is it worth units? The BBP is not a class, and is not worth any units towards graduation.

I am on probation but I do not want to participate in the BBP. How do I get off? If you are in the College of H&A and are on probation, participation in the BBP is mandatory. Non-compliance will result in being restricted from enrolling in classes for future semesters.