SJSU’s Second Confirmed Case of COVID-19
Sent: March 26, 2020
From: Dr. Barbara Fu, Acting Medical Director, SJSU Health and Wellness Center
Patrick K. Day, Vice President for Student Affairs
Dear SJSU campus community,
We are writing to inform you that a campus employee has been diagnosed with Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). The individual is off campus and is recovering at home. We remain in touch with this individual and support their healthy and safe return to the university.
As this individual was in the Diaz Compean Student Union the week of March 23, effective immediately, we are closing the Student Union through Spring Break for extra cleaning and sanitizing as an extra level of precaution. SJSU has started to notify members of the campus community that may have been in contact with the individual and are identified as having a possible risk of exposure.
On March 17, SJSU confirmed its first case of COVID-19. The individual continues to recover off campus. In moments like these, the university will continue to protect the privacy rights of individuals while also ensuring the health of our broader community.
We realize news of this kind can create concerns and anxiety in a time of ongoing change. SJSU leadership is diligently working with the Santa Clara Public Health Department and following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and American College Health Association (ACHA).
This is a challenging time for our university and our world. As a reminder for all of us, please be mindful of the best ways to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Remain at home if you are sick.
- Cover your mouth or sneeze with a tissue; immediately throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Practice social distancing and maintain a distance of at least six feet between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Refrain from shaking hands.
- Follow any Shelter-In-Place orders from your local county public health department or state government.
SJSU is closely monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak and we are committed to keeping the campus community safe. In an effort to provide a confidential space where information can be collected and shared with only the necessary campus officials, SJSU has created a form to report possible COVID-19 cases.
If you are experiencing fever or respiratory symptoms, please call your healthcare provider if you are a staff or faculty member or the Student Health Center for students at 408-924-6122.
For additional information, advisories, FAQs, and resources, please visit the SJSU Health Advisories website, the Santa Clara Public Health Department, or the CDC. We will communicate additional information as our local and global situation continues to evolve.