Human Factors Engineering Laboratory
Reconfigurable, semi-partitionable main room leading to control room (left) and observation room (right).
A research and testing showcase laboratory for Industrial & Systems Engineering, the Human Factors Engineering Laboratory features two observation rooms separated by a shared control room, a large flexible workspace, and secure storage. This page provides a brief description of the facility.
- Two observation rooms with one-way mirrors from a shared, central control room
- Remote video & audio recording via ceiling and tripod mounted pan/zoom/tilt video cameras
Other Research Capabilities
Observation rooms are equipped with remote video & audio recording capabilities via ceiling and tripod mounted pan/zoom/tilt video cameras.
- Eye tracking (fixed base and portable)
- EMG and other physiological response measurement
- Ergonomic equipment testing & demos (sit-stand desks, ergonomic chairs & equipment)
- AV presentation facilities in every room
- Secure storage
- Student, staff, faculty, and industry research space
- Usability testing (observation, video, audio recording)
- Mobile device usability & observation (eye tracking, etc.)
- Simulated non-office environment (e.g. home, hospital room, etc.)
- Small user studies (no observation required)
- Physical ergonomics/biomechanics measurements
- Data entry, review, and analysis
- Brainstorming & collaborative projects
- Client meetings (local and video conference)
- Research demos (industry, K-12, SJSU students, community)
- Secured equipment & paper data storage
- Student research space
- Visiting scholar research space
Observation room can be monitored via one-way mirrors from a central control room.
Research capabilities include a driving simulator.
- Highly reconfigurable, semi-partitionable main room, with white boards
- Interactive presentation capabilities (presentation monitors with interactive tablets)
- Live demo capabilities
- Sponsor & demo capabilities