Thesis / Project Policy, Procedure, and Requirements

Graduate Program in Human Factors/Ergonomics San Jose State University

Registration Policies for HF/E Culminating Projects and Theses

January 14, 2014

The HF/E faculty has completed a review of our registration policies for HF/E culminating projects and theses and has agreed to the following new policies for HF/E culminating experience registrations:

Effective Spring 2014

HF/E Thesis students will be required to register for 4 units of 299 in the department specified by their thesis Chair. The 4 required units of thesis may all be taken in one semester, across two semesters, or more; the student may choose the most cost effective approach for registering for the 4 units of 299. Not more than 4 units of 299 units are required. If students complete their coursework and have RP grades for 4 units of 299 thesis registrations, they must continue their enrollment status by following the new Graduate Studies and Research policy pertaining to UNVS 290 by enrolling in 1 unit of UNVS 290 each semester until they complete the thesis. See UNVS 290 policy below.

HF/E Project students are required to register for 4 units of ISE 298 or 4 units of 298 or equivalent in the department specified by their project Adviser. They may register for the 4 required project units in one semester or across two semesters. Not more than the 4 required units of 298 are required. If students complete their coursework and have RP grades for 4 units of 298 project registrations, they must continue their enrollment status by following the new Graduate Studies and Research policy pertaining to UNVS 290 by enrolling in 1 unit of UNVS 290 each semester until they complete the project. See UNVS 290 policy below.

If you are currently enrolled in a manner that you determine is financially less attractive to you than the above policy statements provide for, you may drop your current 299 or 298 section and request permission to enroll in your preferred section or, if eligible, plan to enroll in 1 unit of UNVS 290 for Spring 2014 (Note: see below. UNVS 290 is not available for enrollment until after the end of the add period).


  1. "RP" is the grade given for "Report in Progress". It is conceptually the equivalent of the "Incomplete" grade, but has a longer life before it times out. The "Incomplete" grade is not available for 298 or 299 units.
  2. Financial aid requires a minimum registration of 4 units for qualification.
  3. Current UNVS 290 policy states:
    "Students of whom all of the following are true are subject to the policy:
    • Graduate student
    • RP issued in S12, Summer 2012, or thereafter for thesis or project course
    • Enrollment in no other courses
    • Completion of all degree requirements other than thesis or project

In accordance with Academic Senate policy F11-2 (Required Enrollment for Report-in-Progress Units), the F12 semester will mark the start of enforcement of the policy in each fall and spring semester (summer and intersession semesters are exempt). Graduate students with an RP grade in a thesis (299) or project (often 298) course in the S12 or later semester are required to enroll in the 1-unit course, UNVS 290, in each semester until degree completion except in cases in which the department requires repeated enrollment in these classes each semester until completion. There are no class meetings for the course as it is supervisory in nature; however, there will be a fee associated with it of approximately $280. "Stopping out," or voluntary absence from the university, will not be permitted in the sense that registration will be compulsory for this unit each semester. Failure to register will result in a hold being put on graduation until the unit is retroactively added; a late fee will be associated with the retroactive action.

The policy applies only to students who are taking no other courses. All degree requirements must have been completed, as once students are converted to "special session eligibility" status, they will not be able to return to regular session status. Should any requirements other than the thesis or project remain, special permission will have to be obtained from the Associate Vice President or Associate Dean of Graduate Studies & Research to return to "non-RP status." The basis of this stipulation is that, whereas it is conceivable that students are working on theses or projects before completing the remainder of their degree requirements, they should continue to take units in those subjects each semester. Students who have RPs on their records only prior to S12 are not subject to this policy unless they earn another RP in subsequent semesters. In addition, students on university-approved, formal leaves of absence will also be except from this policy.

The policy included language that allows for a waiver of UNVS 290 enrollment if the student can document a lack of reasonable attention or guidance by the thesis or project supervisor. If the student has been prevented from making satisfactory progress toward completion of the culminating experience by the advisor, the case can be presented in writing to the Associate Dean of GS&S.

Registration Process

Registration for the 1-unit UNVS 290 course must be delayed until students are given the opportunity to enroll in other courses. If student have the RP and do not enroll in other courses, they will be eligible for enrollment in UNVS 290. The Registrar’s Office will check to determine the students who are eligible and will notify the students via a MySJSU message. The students may then register online through MySJSU. They will have until the end of course instruction that semester to register for the course if they are domestic or nonresident (non-international) students. To maintain their immigration status, international students will have only one week after the Add Deadline to register for the course. In each subsequent fall and winter semester, students will have to register for this course and will be precluded from registering for any other. The RP grade in the project or thesis course remains on the official record until a culminating memo is submitted by the graduate advisor to the Office of Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations (GAPE), the course instructor in which the RP was received has petitioned for a grade change, and the student has submitted a current Application for Award of Master’s Degree form to GAPE."

As stated above, currently, 1 unit of UNVS 290 is about $280.

Current UNVS 290 policy.