Admission & Change of Major
Change of Major Policy and Criteria.
The Department of Public Health and Recreation offers a B.S. Recreation degree. There are two optional concentrations:
1) Recreation Management
2) Recreation Therapy.
The recreation degree program is currently accepting applications for degress in recreation, recreation management, and recreation therapy.
The department seeks a diversity of recreation majors and will make an effort to keep program enrollment balanced among the different degree tracks.
Application Process: Current SJSU students, who desire to apply for a change of major to recreation (or one of the two concentrations), must meet the following minimum qualifications:
For all Applicants
- Establish an SJSU GPA of at least 2.0 (for at least 12 units).
Once the criteria above has been fulfilled, the student should formally apply by submiting a completed Change of Major form to the Public Health and Recreation Department main office (Spartan Complex 201).
Be clear about your intention of major – indicate you are applying for the:
1) B.S. recreation degree (no concentration)
2) B.S. recreation degree (Recreation Therapy concentration)
3) B.S. recreation degree (Recreation Management concentration)
NOTE: Students with greater than 90 units will need to secure two additional signatures on the change of major form - - the CHHS College Associate Dean's signature and approval from AARS (Academic Advising and Retention Services) are required.
Other things to consider
- Contact will be by email or phone, so be sure you have entered an e-mail and phone number you check frequently. Print your information on the from – write clearly and correctly in order to receive communication.
- Have a plan! Utilize the CHHS Success Center staff as mentors in your decision process. Their offices are located in MacQuarrie Hall #533.
- Meet with a Recreation or Recreation Therapy advisor to discuss your plans.