Admitted Spartans Day 2020
Congratulations to all of our admitted students in the College of Humanities and the Arts! We are thrilled to support you along your journey to becoming inspiring educators and practitioners in the arts and the humanities. Welcome future designers, animators, film producers, musicians, dancers, actors, creative writers, professional writers, analytical linguists, language teachers and professionals, artists, and philosophers!
The 2020 Admitted Spartan Day will take place virtually from Saturday, April 18 to Friday, April 24. For a detailed schedule of the week-long event, click here.
As a preview for that day, Dean Shannon Miller has a welcome message for you.
For a full schedule of webinars, click here.
If you're experiencing any technical issues, please click the button at the bottom right to chat with University IT.
- Department of Art and Art History
- Department of Design
- Department of English and Comparative Literature
- Department of Film and Theatre
- Department of Humanities
- School of Journalism and Mass Communications
- Department of Linguistics and Language Development
- School of Music and Dance
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of World Languages and Literatures
The College of Humanities and the Arts (H&A) Student Success Center is the central advising resource for students in the College of the Humanities and the Arts. The H&A Student Success Center has a dedicated team of professional academic advisors that can work with you directly on understanding any non-major related university requirements. We also partner with and support major advisors to help you with course schedule planning, graduation planning, and discovering resources to guide you on your path to success.
Our philosophy is to create a positive and inclusive environment in which our H&A Spartans feel affirmed and supported. We recognize that each person comes to SJSU with unique experiences, skills, and insights. We aspire to connect unique individuals like you with the resources to discover who you are and how you will leave your impact on the world.
Visit our website to learn more about the team that will support you, and the ways we can support you on your Spartan journey.
Don’t forget to follow the Humanities and the Arts Student Success Center on Instagram to stay up-to-date on events and more!
Welcome to the College of Humanities and the Arts!
Check out our other videos below:
- H&A SSC Services: We Care About Your Success!
- Graduation & Retention: You Can Graduate in 4 Years!
- H&A Student Success Center — Student Perspectives
- Thursday, 4/23 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM
Empowering Freshmen for Success: Meet Your Humanities & the Arts Student Success Center Team
The team of academic advisors in the College of Humanities and the Arts Student Success Center are very excited to welcome you to SJSU and to support your successful transition from high school to college. Join us for a live webinar as we provide an overview of the College of Humanities and the Arts, as well as information about H&A Student Success Center's programs and services. You'll also have an opportunity to meet with our professional and student staff during the live Q&A segment of this webinar. We look forward to seeing you there!
Missed it? Don't worry! Click here for a video recording of the webinar.
- Thursday, 4/23 from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Empowering Transfers for Success: Meet Your Humanities & the Arts Student Success Center Team
The team of academic advisors in the College of Humanities and the Arts Student Success Center are very excited to welcome you to SJSU and to support your successful transition from your previous institution to SJSU. Join us for a live webinar as we provide an overview of the College of Humanities and the Arts, as well as information about H&A Student Success Center's programs and services. You'll also have an opportunity to meet with our professional and student staff during the live Q&A segment of this webinar. We look forward to seeing you there!
Missed it? Don't worry! Click here for a video recording of the webinar.
Welcome to the Department of Art and Art History!
We offer BA degree programs in Studio Practice, Preparation for Teaching, and Art History and Visual Culture. We also offer four professional BFA degree programs in Digital Media Art, Photography, Pictorial Art (including drawing & painting, and printmaking), and Spatial Art (including ceramic art, glassblowing, woodworking, metal sculpture, and installation art). Learn more about our programs here!
For a list of major roadmaps and course syllabi, click here.
- BA Art History and Visual Culture with Professor Anthony Raynsford on Saturday, 4/18 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM.
- BFA Art, Digital Media Art with Professor Andrew Blanton on Saturday, 4/18 from 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM. Also, check out a live Game Dev session on Twitch.tv!
- BFA Art, Photography with Professor Binh Danh on Saturday, 4/18 from 9:50 AM to 11:10 AM.
- BFA Art, Pictorial Art with Professor Shaun O'Dell on Saturday, 4/18 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
- BFA Art, Spatial Art and BA Studio Practice with Professor Shannon Wright and Professor Adam Shiverdecker on Saturday, 4/18 from 10:00 AM to 11:15 AM. Check out this poster for the Spatial Arts Program!
Welcome to the Department of Design!
We offer a BA in Design Studies, with four areas of concentration: Animation/Illustration, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, and Interior Design. BFA degrees are also offered for each of the concentrations listed above. You can learn more about the four areas here.
If you want a sneak peek of what you'd be working on, follow the Department of Design on:
Also, check out this virtual tour of our facilities!
- BA/BFA Design, Graphic Design with Professor Chang Kim on Saturday, 4/18 from 10:30
AM to 12:00 PM. Below is the agenda for the webinar:
- Program Introduction
- Curriculum and Roadmap for BA and BFA Degree Programs
- Student Portfolio Showcase
- Study Abroad Program
- Internship and Sponsored Projects
- Studio and Equipment
- Majors to Job and Recruitment
- One-on-One with Faculty, Current Students, and Alumni
The webinar will be an hour and a half long. Professor Chang Kim will go over the program and curriculum as well as presenting student student portfolios for the first half hour. For the remaining hour, GD Major Advisors (see the list here) will conduct breakout sessions with one-on-one advising!
- BA/BFA Design, Animation with Professor David Chai on Saturday, 4/18 from 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM. Join for a virtual tour of our facilities and a Q&A!
- BA/BFA Design, Industrial Design with Professor Joshua Nelson on Saturday, 4/18 from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM.
- BA/BFA Design, Interior Design with Profesor Diana Seah on Saturday, 4/18 from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM. Join for an introduction to the program, portfolio showcase, and a chat with two current ID students!
Welcome to the Department of English and Comparative Literature!
Our department offers BA's and Minors in four concentrations: Literature, Creative Writing, English Education, and Professional and Technical Writing. We're also home to the Center for Literary Arts and Reed Magazine, the oldest literary magazine west of the Mississippi! Learn more about our programs and department here.
If you missed the meeting, watch a recording of the session, here!
Did you know that April is National Poetry Month? Join the Department of English and Comparative Literature and our very own Poets and Writers Coalition as we celebrate! On Thursday, 4/23, we'll be hosting keynote speaker, Ellen Bass, and many other poets from the San José and Bay Area communities! We'll be streaming live on Zoom, beginning at 4:00 PM. See you there!
Dear Future Radio-TV-Film (RTVF) or Theatre Major,
On behalf of SJSU Department of Film and Theatre—Welcome! We are excited to welcome you in the Fall of 2020. I understand that this past spring has been unpredictable during the COVID-19 Shelter-in-Place. It is our hope that you and your family are safe. All our classes migrated online during this time—we have been committed to ensuring that our students benefit from the best possible classes taught by some of the most talented and committed faculty at SJSU.
By now, you've received numerous emails about SJSU's "Virtual Admitted Spartan's Day" which is full of a week of events for you to attend online from April 18 through April 24, 2020. Below is a list of events that our Department will be presenting via Zoom. We will also be emailing you video links, advising information, major/minor information, and Tik Tok's created by our students for you about our Department.
Please be on the lookout for emails from us! Below are key dates and links that I want to encourage you to attend online and connect with our faculty, staff, and students.
Virtual Open House for RTVF Students
Saturday, April 18th from 11:00AM-12:30PM
Come meet up online with faculty, staff, and students! We will talk about the program and we'll even show you some of our films!
Virtual Open House for Theatre Students
Saturday, April 18th from 12:45AM-2:00PM
Come meet up online with faculty, staff, and students!
Zoom Meetings with Department of Film and Theatre KSJS Radio
Wednesday (4/22) and Friday (4/24) from 2:00PM-3:00PM
Learn more about our on-campus, 24/7 radio station, KSJS 90.5 with Program Director Chad Oklin-Jolin and Professor Nick Martinez! Visit the station website here.
Drop-In Hours with Current Students
Monday (4/20), Wednesday (4/22), and Friday (4/24) from 11:00AM-12:00PM
Come drop in and connect with current RTVF and Theatre students. Bring your questions!
Theatre: Performance Webinar with Professor Amy Glazer
Thursday, April 23 from 1:00PM-3:00PM
Theatre: Design Webinar with Professor Andrea Bechert
Thursday, April 23 from 4:00PM-6:00PM
For now, here's some information about our majors for you you review before we see you on April 18th!
I will be on the April 18th call, but please feel free to reach out to me should you have any other questions! See you on Zoom!
Welcome to the Department of Humanities!
The Humanities Department is home to majors and minors that examine human experience in aesthetic, creative, literary, religious, and other realms as well as cultural traditions in major world areas, such as America, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. For a full list of the majors and minors we offer, click here.
Also, check out some videos:
- Creative Arts BA
- Humanities BA
- Liberal Studies Teacher Prep BA
- Humanities Honors GE Program
- Why Join The Humanities?
and other materials related to our department here!
- BA Creative Arts, BA Humanities (American Studies), BA Humanities (Religious Studies), BA Humanities (Liberal Arts) with Professor Shannon Rose Riley, Professor Funie Hsu, and Professor Liz Linden on Saturday, 4/18 from 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM. Current Humanities and Creative Arts students will be joining as well!
- BA Liberal Studies, Integrated Teacher Education Program with Professor Susan Verducci on Saturday, 4/18 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. During the meeting we'll be introducing the program, along with a Q&A session. If you missed the meeting, watch a recording of the session here!
- Humanities Honor Program with Professor Cynthia Rostankowski on Saturday, 4/18 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM or Wednesday, 4/22 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM.
Welcome to the School of Journalism and Mass Communications!
The School prepares students to excel in advertising, journalism, and public relations by teaching professional skills and advanced information technologies, by developing the capacity for critical and original thinking and fostering creativity and a passion for communications. Learn more about our programs here!
Advising Website: Visit this website for any assistance you need with advising!
- BS Journalism, BS Public Relations, BS Advertising with Professors Shaun Fletcher, Tina Korani, Dona Nichols, and Juan Serna on Saturday, 4/18 from 11:20 AM to 1:10 PM.
Hello Admitted Spartan!
You've been admitted to the Department of Linguistics and Language Development at San José State, and we'd love for you to choose us!
Here's a 4-minute video introducing us! Link
And here's a folder with some department materials: Link
This Saturday (4/18), we will be hosting a Zoom meeting during Admitted Spartans Day, just for our department. Come meet the faculty and ask any questions you want. We'll be happy to "see" you there! (If, however, you'd prefer to remain anonymous, you can change your Zoom name and keep your camera off.)
Click here to attend the meeting on Saturday, April 18th from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM! We look forward to hosting you!
Welcome to the School of Music and Dance!
The School of Music and Dance has long been known for its excellence in teaching, its accomplished artist faculty, its diverse student population, and its leadership role in music and dance education. Our more than active 2000 alumni are found throughout the world—concentrated especially in the Bay Area—leading engaged lives as performers, teachers, administrators, and in other arts professions.
Learn more about our Music Programs here.
Learn more about our Dance Programs here.
Make sure to follow the School of Music and Dance on social media to stay up-to-date on events and more!
Welcome to the Department of Philosophy! Check out the links below to learn more about us.
- Why Philosophy? Freshman Flyer
- Why Philosophy? Transfer Student Flyer
- Why Philosophy? Pre-Med Student Flyer
- Qualities of a Philosophy Major
- Why study Philosophy at SJSU?
Welcome to the Department of World Languages and Literatures!
The Department of World Languages & Literatures at San José State University is a comprehensive, full-service foreign language department offering challenging and rich programs of study in a variety of languages.
We offer BA's in Chinese, French, Japanese, and Spanish and MA's in French and Spanish. Learn more about our undergraduate programs here or check out some of the links below.