F-1 and J-1 Dependents

The U.S. Immigration law that went into effect on January 1, 2003 requires dependents of F-1 and J-1 students who are planning to obtain a dependent visa (spouses and children under the age of 21) to be issued a SEVIS I-20 in order to apply for F-2 or J-2 visas.


New Applicants

Our online application requires you to give your dependent’s information when submitting your application. Please send the dependent documents with your own documents to our office so that we can issue a dependent I-20.


Documents for Dependents:

  1. Dependent passport page
  2. Additional fund of $6,600 USD per dependent


Current Students

F-1 students who are currently attending International Gateways must contact our admissions office regarding dependents who are planning to obtain an F-2 visa.

Please send an email to igateways-admission@sjsu.edu if you have any questions.