The BS - Industrial and Systems Engineering program prepares engineers for a broad scope of systems analysis and design challenges that deal with improving the overall performance of an organization or system. ISE's focus is on productivity improvement, with concern for the human aspects of work as well as with finding the right combination of resources to ensure that the organization performs at its best. Using the latest computer-based analytical and modeling technologies, ISE bridges the gap between management and operations, applying organizational development, continuous improvement, Total Quality Management, ergonomics and production systems expertise. The goal of ISE is to assure that the organization's systems are efficient, productive, safe and will not lead to cumulative injury, and that they incorporate the right tools and equipment. An industrial and systems engineer may be employed in almost any type of industry, business or institution, from retail establishments to manufacturing plants to government agencies to hospitals. The program prepares students to enter the profession immediately or to go on to graduate school.

The Industrial & Systems Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.

Possible Areas of specialization

  • Manufacturing Process Design
  • Human Factors and Ergonomics
  • System Modeling and Simulation
  • Facilities Planning and Division
  • Cost Analysis and Control
  • Total Quality Management
  • Quality Assurance and Control
  • Production and Inventory Control


To receive advising, please refer to the list below for drop in office hours, or schedule an appointment by emailing your appropriate advisor:

Transfer Evaluation

Before enrolling in ISE 102 or ISE 130, you must see your Major Advisor to review credit for Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Engineering coursework taken elsewhere. Students who fail to do so will either be dropped by the instructor or get a failure grade. Please visit College of Engineering Academic Forms website for transfer forms.

Online course equivalents from other colleges can be reached online. Information on which courses can be transferred from the 131 colleges and universities holding articulation agreements with San Jose State University.

The following steps are required for a transfer credit evaluation:

  1. Obtain a set of unofficial transcripts showing all the Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Engineering courses taken elsewhere that you consider equivalent to the corresponding SJSU courses. Note that the Admissions Office does not make transcripts available to the ISE Department.
  2. If applicable, obtain copies of catalog descriptions of pertinent courses that were taken at schools other than California community colleges. Clark Library normally has copies of catalogs for most U.S. colleges.
  3. If applicable, attach catalog descriptions, and submit to the appropriate SJSU departments the Equivalency Evaluation forms for those courses taken at schools other than California community colleges. The U.S. college forms can be obtained from the ISE Office, while the foreign college forms are processed through the Admissions and Records Office. Following review, these forms should be returned to the ISE Department.
  4. Complete the worksheet included in the Transfer Evaluation Packet in ink. A list of course equivalencies between California community colleges and SJSU is included. Courses not found in this list require the completion of Equivalency Evaluation forms by the pertinent department to complete the evaluation.
  5. If all your pertinent transfer coursework was done at California community colleges, attach the set of transcripts to the completed worksheet and submit to your Major Advisor. Within a week or so, unless there are problems, your official transfer evaluation should be complete and placed in your file with the ISE department.
  6. If part (or all) of your pertinent transfer coursework was taken at schools other than California community colleges, attach the set of transcripts and copies of the signed Equivalency Evaluation forms to the completed worksheet and submit in person to your Major Advisor. Once processed, your official Transfer Evaluation will be signed by your Major Advisor and placed in your file with the ISE Department.

Guidelines for Major Form