Transferring in, out, and changing degree level

Transferring In

If you are already studying in the United States and you have been admitted to SJSU, you will need to transfer your SEVIS record. Please speak with an International Student Advisor at your current school and ask them to transfer your record to SJSU. You must complete Section 1 of the SJSU Transfer In Form (pdf), then give this form to your International Student Advisor for them to complete Section 2 and send it to the appropriate department.


Transferring Out

You may transfer from SJSU to another school to complete your degree or to begin a new program. To do so, you will first need to be officially admitted by your new school. Once you have been admitted, you must submit the SJSU Transfer Out Form (pdf) to International Student Services, along with a copy of your acceptance letter and any Transfer Form from your new school (if they have one.) Not all schools use a Transfer Form and it is not required for our process. You may send your completed SJSU Transfer Out Form with supporting documents to with the Subject "SJSU Transfer Out Request." Please note, you must start classes at your new school within 5 months of SJSU transferring your SEVIS record.


Changing Level

If you have completed a Bachelor’s degree at SJSU and have been admitted for a Master’s degree program, you will need to complete the attached Change of Academic Level Form (pdf) and submit it to International Student Services along with your SJSU Graduate Admission Letter. After you have submitted your form, the department of Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE), will create an I-20 for you at your new degree level. GAPE will email you when the new I-20 is ready to pick up at the Student Services Center.