Transferring in, out, and changing degree level
Transferring Into SJSU
If you are already studying in F-1 status in the United States, have been admitted to SJSU, and have been maintaining valid F-1 visa status, then you will need to transfer your SEVIS record to SJSU. Please speak with an International Student Advisor at your current school and request the transfer of your SEVIS record to SJSU. You must complete Section 1 of the SJSU Transfer In Form, and ask your current institution’s official to complete Section 2 of the form.
Transferring Out of SJSU
You may transfer from SJSU to another U.S. institution to complete your degree or to begin a new program of study in F-1 status. In order to do so, you will first need to be officially admitted to the new institution. Once you have been officially admitted and decide to transfer out, you must submit the SJSU Transfer Out Request form in iSpartan, along with a copy of your acceptance letter and the Transfer form (if any) from your new school. ISSS will then make a request in the SEVIS database to transfer out your SEVIS record. This step will not happen until after you have completed the most current semester at SJSU. You may request the I-20 from your new institution on or after the transfer release date. Please note the following:
- All travel and employment benefits authorized through SJSU will end on your transfer release date.
- Although you may be applying to multiple schools, SJSU may only transfer your SEVIS record to only one school.
- If you decide to cancel your school transfer, you must notify ISSS at least 3 days before your transfer release date. Once the transfer release date has been reached, SJSU will no longer have access to your SEVIS record, and you will need to contact the transfer-in school to assist you.
- If you are traveling outside the U.S. prior to beginning the program at your new school, you must re-enter the U.S. with the new school's I-20. You may use the same F-1 visa stamp, as long as it is valid.
- You must report to your new school within 15 days of the program start date, since you need to get an updated I-20 to maintain your F-1 visa status. Keep your SJSU I-20(s) for your records.
- If you are currently on Optional Practical Training (OPT) or STEM OPT, you must stop any employment the day before the transfer release date. (For example, if your transfer release date is 08/01/2021, the last day of employment on your OPT/STEM OPT must be on or before 07/31/2021.)
- If you wish to transfer out before your first semester at SJSU and you received your F-1 visa with the Form I-20 issued by SJSU, you must complete the mandatory immigration check-in with ISSS. This step needs to be completed from a regulatory standpoint in order for ISSS to be able to transfer out your SEVIS record to the new school.
- You must start classes at your new school within 5 months of SJSU transferring your SEVIS record. We highly recommend scheduling an appointment with an ISSS Advisor to discuss your plans, so you understand the deadlines that you will need to meet, in order to maintain your F-1 visa status.
Changing Degree Level at SJSU
If you have completed a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree at SJSU and have been admitted to a Master’s degree program at SJSU, you will need to complete the Change in Educational Level I-20 Request form and submit it to ISSS. After you have submitted your form, ISSS will create a new I-20 for you and email you when your “Change Education Level” I-20 is ready. Please note the following:
- If there is more than 5 months between the last date of your attendance and the start date of your new degree, you may not be eligible for a Change in Educational Level I-20. Please contact ISSS before submitting your form. For updated information on SJSU semester start dates, please refer to SJSU Registrar's Office.
- If there is more than 5 months between the last date of your OPT or STEM OPT employment and the start date of your new degree, you may not be eligible for a Change in Educational Level I-20. Please contact ISSS before submitting your form. For updated information on SJSU semester start dates, please refer to SJSU Registrar's Office.
- You may request to obtain your “Change Education Level” I-20 before the last date of your employment on OPT/STEM OPT, however, you must stop your employment the day before the semester start date of your new degree (For example, if the new semester starts on 01/26/2022, the last day of employment on your OPT/STEM OPT must be on or before 01/25/2022.)
You may schedule an appointment with an ISSS Advisor to discuss your plans, so you know the deadlines that you need to meet, in order to maintain your F-1 visa status.