De-stress for Academic Success
De-stress for Academic Success
Studying, working on projects, and preparing for exams can be quite stressful. To perform well in your studies, you must also take good care of both your mind and body. Below are some resources to help you relax and manage the stress of being a student.
SJSU Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) offers many services free of charge to SJSU students, including:
- Life Skill Workshops, such as stress management and mindful meditation.
- Self-Help Tips
- International Circle: This small group session is specifically for international students. Please contact Dr. Minji Yang at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Crisis Resources: Please call CAPS during or after hours (press 4 after hours) at 408-924-5910 to speak
to a crisis counselor.
Coloring is not just for kids! Coloring can help you relax and forget about your worries
as you refocus your thoughts.
Free printable coloring pages
Digital coloring pages
No crayons, markers, or colored pencils necessary! Color online or on an app.
Release tension by playing with slime or squeezing a stress ball. Don’t have one on hand? Here are some Do It Yourself (DIY) videos.
- How to make fluffy slime (CNET article)
- Dish soap, shampoo, and salt slime (video)
- 5 Easy DIY Stress Relievers (video)
- DIY 2-ingredient Stress Ball (video)
Our minds and bodies become attuned to our experiences of stress and anxiety, and
so learning how to train your mind and body to relax through deep breathing, mindfulness,
and meditation can be helpful to let go and release stress and tension. Meditation
takes continued practice, so please consider this to be a part of your daily routine!
- 2-minute breathing bubble from Calm
- 3-minute breathing exercise with instruction from Stop, Breathe, and Think
- 10-minute relax & breathe from the School of Self
- Guided Meditation from UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center
- 10-minute mindful meditation from Calm (video)
- Insight Timer (App) Create a free account and gain access to several mindfulness exercises
Exercise and movement are so crucial to improving physical and mental health. The
great thing is that there are several workouts with a variety of lengths (e.g., 15
min, 30 min, 45 mins) you can access online!
Music affects each of us in different ways. You’ll need to find the kind of music
that best suits you. Think about what feeling you’re trying to achieve, and then explore
your favorite music streaming app to find the perfect music for your mood. Create
playlists to use depending on your mood.
What feeling do you want to achieve?
- Calmness & Serenity: Search words could include: nature sounds, yoga, spa & massage, relaxation.
- Mood-lifter/Happiness: Ask yourself: What kind of music makes me happy? Gives me energy? Makes me want to sing or dance? Now go on and get your groove on!
- Check out our YouTube playlist Spring 2020 Motivational Mix, a compilation of happy music from around the world. All songs were recommended by our Global Spartans! https://tinyurl.com/motivational-mix-2020
- Focus: Not sure where to start? You could try: classical, coffee house music, lo-fi beats, nature sounds, instrumental, white noise, or links that have compiled music that you can stream: Jazz music to study to.
- Sleep: If you’re having trouble sleeping, you might search for: nature sounds, spa & massage, ASMR, white noise, relaxation.