Become a Peer Mentor
Peer Mentors serve as volunteer guides for new international students, helping them navigate social, cultural, and academic transitions.
Applications are open March 22-April 15, 2021.
Why should you be a volunteer Peer Mentor?
- Expand your worldview! This is an opportunity to learn from others about cultures across the globe.
- Make a difference! It feels good to help others, and you’d be surprised to see the impact your kindness can make on someone else’s life.
- Boost your resume! Develop intercultural, interpersonal, and leadership skills--transferable skills employers seek.
- Work on a multicultural team in a supportive environment.
Who can apply to be a Peer Mentor?
- Undergraduate students (international or U.S.) in good academic standing (2.0 GPA or higher) with at least 1 year at SJSU.
- Graduate students (international or U.S.) in good academic standing (2.0 GPA or higher) with at least 1 semester at SJSU.
- Commitment to one year as a Peer Mentor (May to May)
- Required attendance at Mentor Orientation in May
- Required participation in iSucceed Kick Off event during Week 1 (fall and spring)
- Check in regularly with Mentees via email, social media, text, phone conversation or in-person (you decide as a Mentor Family what works best for you)
- Provide support and guidance to Mentees, directing them to appropriate resources as necessary
- Attend 2 meetings a month: (1) Peer Mentor Training; (2) All Hands Meetup for all iSucceed members (Mentors and Mentees)
- Engage with the iSucceed community in person and online
- Keep in close communication with your Advisory Board liaison, who will help you during your time as a Peer Mentor (the Advisory Board is like a small team of mentors mentoring a mentor).
For questions regarding iSucceed, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org