Become a Peer Mentor
Peer Mentors serve as volunteer guides for new international students, helping them navigate social, cultural, and academic transitions.
Applications for spring 2023 open until December 12, 2022.
Why should you be a volunteer Peer Mentor?
- Expand your worldview! This is an opportunity to learn from others about cultures across the globe.
- Make a difference! It feels good to help others, and you’d be surprised to see the impact your kindness can make on someone else’s life.
- Boost your resume! Develop intercultural, interpersonal, and leadership skills--transferable skills employers seek.
- Work on a multicultural team in a supportive environment.
Who can apply to be a Peer Mentor?
- Undergraduate students (international or U.S.) in good academic standing (2.0 GPA or higher) with at least 1 year at SJSU.
- Graduate students (international or U.S.) in good academic standing (2.0 GPA or higher) with at least 1 semester at SJSU.
- Commitment to one year as a Peer Mentor (May to May)
- Required attendance at Mentor Orientation in May
- Required participation in iSucceed Kick Off event during Week 1 (fall and spring)
- Check in regularly with Mentees via email, social media, text, phone conversation or in-person (you decide as a Mentor Family what works best for you)
- Provide support and guidance to Mentees, directing them to appropriate resources as necessary
- Attend 2 meetings a month: (1) Peer Mentor Training; (2) All Hands Meetup for all iSucceed members (Mentors and Mentees)
- Engage with the iSucceed community in person and online
- Keep in close communication with your Advisory Board liaison, who will help you during your time as a Peer Mentor (the Advisory Board is like a small team of mentors mentoring a mentor).
For questions regarding iSucceed, please email us at email@example.com