International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) centralizes immigration advising resources and co-curricular support programming for international students and scholars on campus. Our goal is to serve the needs of our international students and scholars and to enhance their experience in the United States and to integrate them into our community, while also contributing to their success during their tenure at SJSU and beyond.
CPGE and the Pandemic in India
The recent surge in COVID infections in India is especially distressing given the close ties
San José State has to India and the vitality of our large Indian student community. We
know many of our students are worried about their families and their future.
This situation is compounded for newly admitted students by difficulties in obtaining visa
appointments with consulates and embassies abroad and continued travel restrictions due
to the fluid COVID situation. Just last week, President Biden halted travel from India to
the United States. However, India has been added to the list of countries for the
National Interest Exemptions (NIE), meaning that F-1 students may travel to the
United States as long as they have a valid I-20, valid F-1 visa stamp, and have
met the COVID testing requirements set forth by the CDC. Read more.
Standing Up to Anti-Asian Racism and Hate Crimes
As the United States continues to grapple with the recent rise of anti-Asian hate crimes,
the College of Professional and Global Education (CPGE) condemns these acts and stands
in solidarity with the victims and their families and friends. The larger Asian community
comprises many of the students, faculty, and staff at SJSU. CPGE is especially concerned
about the international students we serve from regions in the world that may have been
targets of these unacceptable acts. Read more
Immigration Guidelines for Spring 2021 and the 2021-2022 academic year
On April 26, 2021, the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) confirmed that the March 2020 guidance will continue for the 2021-2022 academic year. ISSS will email you and update our website if there are any changes. At this time, travel abroad remains risky and we ask that you take extra precautions and review the CDC guidelines regularly before you travel. We strongly encourage you to remain in the United States and to not travel abroad.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced on Tuesday, January
12th, that effective Tuesday, January 26th, all air passengers entering the United States will
need to provide a negative COVID-19 test before boarding their flight. Here is a short video with more information from the Student Health Center. In short, you will need: 1)
to get your COVID testing completed within 3 days of your departure; 2)
provide written confirmation of your negative test results to the airline before boarding (previously infected passengers can provide documentation of their recovery in lieu of a negative test result); 3) get tested again within 3-5 days of arrival and self-isolate for one week or more.
We will continue to update our FAQ page for current and new students as we learn more. Please know that we remain committed to all of our Global Spartans, current and new. We appreciate your patience as we continue to work diligently to interpret and put into practice this new development to provide you with the best advice we can.
SJSU prides itself on being a diverse, global and welcoming campus. You are part of the Spartan community and your global perspectives and ideas are greatly valued. We know that you will continue to thrive within our Spartan community.
News & Updates
- IRS Tax Filing Deadline Extension -- The IRS has extended the tax filing deadline to May 17, 2021. For more information, please read the Sprintax Blog post on this topic.
- USCIS announces flexibilities for students impacted by the delayed receipt processing of their post-OPT and STEM OPT applications -- Learn more by going here.
- Free Access to Sprintax Tax Preparation! -- Once again, Sprintax and ISSS have teamed up to provide free tax filing assistance
for the first 600 students who sign up! In order to sign up for your free tax preparation, please do the following:
1. Register and follow the simple instructions
2. Complete the online questionnaire
3. Enter your unique code: SpR20SJSU601F in the box on the ‘Review your order’ page
4. Sprintax will prepare your tax return
- Sprintax Spring 2021 Tax Webinars - Please go here for links, dates, and times for virtual Tax-Filing workshops offered by Sprintax.
- Front Desk Q/A Zoom -- Have a quick question? If so, instead of booking an advising appointment, join us for Front Desk Q/A Zoom. Mondays through Fridays. Please go here to review exact dates and times.
- F-1 FAQ for Covid-19-- We have compiled a FAQ list based on your queries from our virtual Town Hall Meetings. This FAQ addresses travel, employment, online courses, Credit/No-Credit courses, etc. during the Covid-19 pandemic. Prior to scheduling an appointment with us, please review this FAQ.
- ISSS services move online --Effective 03/17/2020, all ISSS operations will continue remotely. You will be able to schedule a zoom advising session with our advisors by going here.
- Please go here for updates on SJSU's response to the COVID-19 virus. You may also visit the Santa Clara County Public Health Center's website for the latest updates of coronavirus in Santa Clara County.
- Global Connections for Spring 2021!--Join our weekly Global Connections meetup to connect with people from around the world, explore cultural topics, and learn tips for improving your overall well being. Open to all students.