International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) centralizes immigration advising resources and co-curricular support programming for international students and scholars on campus. Our goal is to serve the needs of our international students and scholars and to enhance their experience in the United States and to integrate them into our community, while also contributing to their success during their tenure at SJSU and beyond.
Immigration Guidelines for Fall 2020
On Tuesday, July 14th, 2020 the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) rescinded in its entirety the guidance from July 6th and the FAQs that followed, with regard to the mode of instruction and maintaining F-1 status for Fall 2020.The July 24th SEVP FAQ reverts back to the guidance provided for spring and summer 2020, and extends the guidance into the fall 2020 semester. However, please note that the situation continues to be fluid and that this information is subject to change. It is important that you continue to look for updates from ISSS.
We will continue to update our FAQ page for current and new students as we learn more. Please know that we remain committed to all of our Global Spartans, current and new. We appreciate your patience as we continue to work diligently to interpret and put into practice this new development to provide you with the best advice we can.
SJSU prides itself on being a diverse, global and welcoming campus. You are part of the Spartan community and your global perspectives and ideas are greatly valued. We know that you will continue to thrive within our Spartan community.
News & Updates
- Expired I-765s Leading to Rejected OPT/STEM-OPT Applications -- If you will be applying for Post-Completion OPT or STEM-OPT Extension, please make sure that you are using the current version of the I-765 directly from the USCIS website.
- New! Front Desk Q/A Zoom -- Have a quick question? If so, instead of booking an advising appointment, join us for Front Desk Q/A Zoom. Mondays through Thursdays beginning on 06/09/2020. Please go here to review exact dates and times.
- Effective Friday, May 15th, ISSS will begin to require all international students who wish to apply for initial, Post-Completion OPT or STEM-OPT Extension to pay a one-time fee. The fee will be $150.00 for Post-Completion OPT and $300.00 for the STEM-OPT Extension. This fee will be in addition to the USCIS $410.00 OPT (I-765) application fee. Please go to the following link to pay the fee if you apply for OPT (Post-Completion or STEM-Extension) on or after May 15th, 2020.
- F-1 FAQ for Covid-19-- We have compiled a FAQ list based on your queries from our virtual Town Hall Meetings. This FAQ addresses travel, employment, online courses, Credit/No-Credit courses, etc. during the Covid-19 pandemic. Prior to scheduling an appointment with us, please review this FAQ.
- ISSS services move online --Effective 03/17/2020, all ISSS operations will continue remotely. You will be able to schedule a zoom advising session with our advisors by going here.
- Please go here for updates on SJSU's response to the COVID-19 virus. You may also visit the Santa Clara County Public Health Center's website for the latest updates of coronavirus in Santa Clara County.
- Global Connections (Virtual): Every Monday from 12 to 1 via Zoom--Join our weekly Global Connections meetup to connect with people from around the world, explore cultural topics, and learn tips for improving your overall well being. Open to all students.