Nominated students for exchange to SJSU will receive the application link to the application via email. You will then be required to submit the application and include the following information in your application:
- Complete the Application for a New Exchange Student.
- Provide a statement of purpose. Include your proposed program of study while at SJSU. For example, if you want to take an engineering course, have you completed the prerequisite requirement at your home institution.
- Upload a clear digital copy of your passport biographical page.
- Upload a recent academic transcript from your home institution in English or translated into English.
- Upload documentation of English proficiency (IELTS 6.0 6.5 Engineering Majors, TOEFL 61, 80 Engineering Majors, PTE 44, Duolingo 95), confirm you are a native English speaker or confirm that you are attending a University in a country where English is the spoken language.
Approximately 3-4 weeks after the application deadline, ISSS will contact home institutions and applicants regarding their acceptance as well as a link to submit the DS-2019 application. Admitted students will then be required to complete our DS-2019 application.
- Complete SJSU’s DS-2019 request form. After being admitted, the ISSS office will issue you a DS-2019, which is required to apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.
- Proof of finances.
- Fall 2023 & Spring 2024: $26,777 USD (One Academic Year)
- Fall 2023 or Spring 2024: $13,389 USD (One Academic Semester)
- Source of funding may come from personal funds, funds from a sponsor (parent, relative), government, organization, or a private source. Include a bank letter, statement, or award letter as evidence. The financial document must be dated within the past three months, account amount listed, or converted to U.S. dollars.
Your DS-2019 will be emailed directly to you.