Once you receive the application link from your home institution, you will be required to include the following information in your application:
- Complete the Incoming Exchange Program Application Questionnaire.
- Provide a statement of purpose. Include your proposed program of study while at SJSU. For example, if you want to take an engineering course, have you completed the prerequisite requirement at your home institution.
- Upload a clear digital copy of your passport biographical page.
- Upload a recent academic transcript from your home institution in English or translated into English.
- Upload documentation of English proficiency (IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 61, 80 Engineering Majors, PTE 40) or a faculty/staff letter confirming you have sufficient English language proficiency to successfully participate in an SJSU program but also to function on a day-to-day basis.
- Complete and sign SJSU’s DS-2019 request form. After being admitted, the ISSS office will issue you a DS-2019, which is required to apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate.
- Proof of finances.
- Fall 2021: $12,530 USD
- Fall 2021 & Spring 2022: $25,060 USD
- Source of funding may come from personal funds, funds from a sponsor (parent, relative), government, organization, or a private source. Include a bank letter, statement, or award letter as evidence. The financial document must be dated within the past three months, account amount listed, or converted to U.S. dollars.
Approximately 3-4 weeks after the application deadline, ISSS will contact the home institutions and applicants regarding their acceptance. A welcome packet including your DS-2019 and official letter of acceptance will be mailed out to your home institution for distribution.