• On-Campus Employment: You may work on-campus. Any on-campus job is limited to 20 hours per week during the semester or full-time during official school breaks. After obtaining a job offer, request a work permit from the ISSS office. You may also need to apply for a Social Security number (SSN).
  • Off-campus Employment: Academic Training (AT) provides an opportunity for J-1 students to participate in experiential learning that is an integral part of the program of study.  Training can be paid or unpaid. One semester exchange students will be limited to four months of Academic Training authorization. If participating in a full academic year exchange program, up to 9 months of AT is allowed. You will need to obtain authorization from ISSS before starting work.


Pre-Completion. Training is authorized during your studies before the program ends. Limited to part-time, 20 hours per week or less, during the academic term

Post-Completion. Training is authorized after completion of studies.  Post-completion AT can be part-time (20 hours or less) or full-time (more than 20 hours and up to 40 hours a week).