Internet & Network Access
Information Technology provides the Campus Community with access to a secure, centrally-managed network. All of the network components work together seamlessly to offer simplicity, consistency, transparency and security regardless of where you connect to the network.
Reliable, wired access to the University network and the Internet. SJSU offers four (4) wireless networks for different audiences:
- SJSU_Premier secure network is for Students, Faculty and Staff and provides encrypted connectivity for wireless users that have a SJSUOne ID
EDUROAM allows many higher education groups to use the local resources.
Students, faculty, and staff can also connect to hundreds of secure networks across the world using their SJSU login with eduroam. Eduroam is an international roaming service that has thousands of participating universities, libraries, and other learning institutions. There are over 2,000 available eduroam networks across the United States, including at least one in every major city with many throughout the SF Bay Area and California. There are thousands more all across the world. Click here to find your nearest eduroam network.
- SJSU_Guest is an open, unencrypted wireless network for campus visitors
- SJSU_MyDevices for Students, Faculty and Staff is for network-enabled devices (such as gaming consoles, Apple TV, etc.) that do not support WPA2 security
We also offer Domain Name System (DNS) and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) services for all divisions. The service is hosted on the Infoblox appliance, is fully redundant and can be administered centrally by Network Services or remotely by department-based IT support personnel.
- Computer equipment with appropriate network interface card (Ethernet)
- Devices with compatible wireless network adapters are required for Wi-Fi access
- SJSU prohibits the connection of customer-provided switches, hubs or routers to the campus network
- 802.11b is no longer supported
Internet and network access is free for Students, Faculty and Staff. Third parties are required to complete a Non-disclosure Agreement (NDA).
- Set Up for iOS [pdf]
- Set Up for Mac OS [pdf]
- Set Up for Android [pdf]
- Set Up for Windows [pdf]
- Set Up for Guest Wi-Fi [pdf]
For help with Internet or network access, open a help ticket with a brief description of the issue. For information about the correct network to request, contact your local departmental IT support staff.
Wiring and activation requests typically take at least two business days to complete.