Virtual Private Network (VPN)
VPN@SJSU provides web-based remote access, aka 'virtual private network. VPN allows users outside of the SJSU network access to restricted resources (such as connecting to file shares, servers and desktops) on the SJSU network as if they are physically located on the SJSU campus.
- Do I need VPN Connection?
• VPN@SJSU is available to students, faculty and staff with an active SJSUOne account. Affiliates can gain access through a departmental request
• SJSU doesn't prevent the use of VPN from other countries, but some countries prevent the use of VPN services from accessing American networks
• Most SJSU systems and applications are provided via the Cloud and may be accessed readily from off-campus without using VPN
• If you are unsure whether you need VPN access, please contact your designated IT Support Tech for clarification.
- List of systems/services THAT REQUIRE VPN access
• Secure (Level 1) Department Network File Shares
• Enrollment Services FileMaker databases (e.g. NextSteps)
• SAMI Gateway
• OnBase Unity Client
• Cisco Jabber & Finesse
• Remote Desktop Connection to Office Workstations, for access to restricted systems/software
• Contact your IT Support Tech for clarification
• The service is hosted on the Infoblox appliance, is fully redundant and can be administered centrally by Network Services or remotely by department-based IT support personnel.
- List of systems/services that DO NOT REQUIRE VPN access
• Google Suite: GMail, Calendar, Drive, Hangouts
• Oracle PeopleSoft SIS/HCM/CFS,
• SJSU@Work, MySJSU
• SJSU-FTS (Financial Transaction Services)
• OnBase Web Client
• VPN service provides a secure, fully-encrypted connection between the your device ( (laptop, smartphone, PDA, tablet, etc.) and the SJSU network
• If you connect to the VPN service from off campus, you will have identical access to your systems just as you do with wired or wireless connections to the SJSU network.
• Cisco AnyConnect is the application that connects your computer directly to the SJSU network allowing you full access to servers and application
• iOS VPN provides full network connection options for Apple iPads, iPhones and iPod Touch devices through Cisco AnyConnect available from the Apple App Store.
You must have an active SJSUOne account. Any compatible computer operating system:
• Windows 7 (or newer)
• Mac OS (10.6 or newer)
• Apple iOS
The VPN@SJSU service provides a fully encrypted connection between the client device (laptop, smartphone, PDA, tablet, etc.) and the SJSU network, providing access identical to systems connected with a cable in a SJSU facility.
• VPN@SJSU is available to students, faculty and staff with an active SJSUOne account. Affiliates can gain access through a departmental request.
• SJSU doesn't prevent the use of VPN from other countries, but some countries prevent the use of VPN services from accessing American networks.
• Cisco AnyConnect: Connects your computer directly to the SJSU network allowing you full access to servers and applications
• iOS VPN: Full network connection option for Apple iPads, iPhones and iPod Touch devices through Cisco AnyConnect available from the Apple App Store
- Requesting VPN
Connect to VPN@SJSU
1. Download and install the Cisco AnyConnect Client
2. Enter the server name of vpn.sjsu.edu, and then select "Connect"
3. Use your SJSUOne ID and password to connect
- Faculty and Staff