All majors seeking the BS degree in advertising, journalism, or public relations must meet the following requirements:
- Complete 120 semester units which includes all university and school of journalism degree requirements. At least 80 of the 120 units must be taken outside the school areas of advertising, journalism, public relations, or mass communications. They can be completed at SJSU or at another college or university. National accreditation requirements call for 90 units outside the school, but also allow students to count six units from MCOM 72, Media & Society; MCOM 101, Law & Ethics; or MCOM 106, Global Communications, as part of the 90 units because they are considered general subjects.
- A total of 65 of the 90 units must be taken in the liberal arts and sciences. Courses in this area are defined as those offered in the schools of humanities and arts, social science, and science, or by equivalent disciplines at other institutions.
- Courses are listed as general education courses in the SJSU schedule of classes except no 100W course is accepted. Courses offering practical instruction in fields closely related to mass communications may not be applied to the liberal arts and sciences requirement, regardless of where it is offered.
- Specifically excluded are laboratory production and skill courses in English, and internships, activity, or independent study courses offered in other departments. Students who are unsure will need to ask their advisor.
- Complete a 12-unit academic focus in a single discipline or department outside the fields taught within the school of journalism. At least six of these units must be upper division, and the GPA must be at least 2.0.
- Beginning Fall 2019, the International Experience is no longer required for Advertising and Public Relations majors. Only Journalism majors are required to have an International Experience, but substitutions are available. Please contact the Major Advisor in regards to International Experience and International Experience substitutions. In addition, beginning of Fall 2019, the 12-unit Academic Focus is no longer required for ALL Advertising, Journalism, and Public Relations majors.
- The minimum requirement is a 12–unit academic focus, but students may also choose a minor. The academic focus, as well as a minor, must be approved by the student's advisor. Complete an approved internship for academic credit before the final semester of the senior year. (This may be waived for students who can document substantial professional experience prior to their senior year.)
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject like "STUDENT NAME - APPLYING FOR GRADUATION" (i.e. JAMES SMITH - APPLYING FOR GRADUATION)
In the email include:
- SJSU ID #
- Proposed Graduation Term
- Availability for an advising appointment (be sure this is not during when you have class)
- Any other questions
- Graduation application, filled out
- Major form, filled out
- GE courses completed form, filled out (required for Journalism majors only)
- Copies of all transcript (SJSU Unofficial transcript, Transfer transcripts)
Your paperwork will be reviewed with the Major advisor and you will be contacted shortly for an advising appointment (if needed). Once your paperwork looks good, it will be signed off by the Major advisor and submitted directly to the Graduation evaluator. You will also receive a copy of the signed paperwork for your records. All forms can be found on the JMC Advising Page.
For more information about deadlines, check the Registrar's calendar on their website. If after reading these pages, you have questions, contact Prof. Dona Nichols.