International Experience (IE) is an elective option for students interested in gaining a global perspective on justice. IE is not a degree requirement, but participation in IE can count toward university or major electives.
Studying abroad is a high-impact educational practice that has been shown to increase student success and employability after graduation. IE is designed to provide high-quality global learning experiences that are flexible, affordable, and relevant to students’ degree programs and professional goals. There are many options for fulfilling the requirement and advising is available to assist students in all aspects of the process. Students may be able to apply financial aid towards the cost of some SJSU-sponsored study abroad programs, and scholarships are also available through other sources. Often, students find that it saves money to study abroad because housing costs are much lower in many other countries compared with Silicon Valley.
- Faculty-Led Programs: Faculty Led Programs (FLPs) are overseas courses taught by SJSU faculty from various academic fields for up to 5 weeks during the summer or winter sessions. FLPs are considered SJSU Special Session courses, and they range from 3 – 6 units, with many courses meeting general education requirements. Per unit fees for these programs are dependent upon the unique costs of running programs in particular locations. See below for FLP related to Justice Studies and/or Forensic Science.
- Study Abroad Programs: SJSU offers a range of bilateral exchange Study Abroad Programs for a single semester, summer, or academic year. Programs are available at over 33 universities in 18 different countries. You can find the program that is right for you by searching by region, country, or your major/minor.
- International Student Exchange Programs: SJSU is partnered with the non-profit International Student Exchange Program (ISEP). It has agreements with 328 colleges and universities around the world. ISEP is dedicated to helping students overcome the financial and academic barriers to studying abroad.
- CSU International Programs: The California State University Chancellor's Office manages study abroad programs at a network of international universities. Students pay SJSU tuition, but programs are also partially subsidized by the CSU system, making them very affordable. All programs run for one year. CSU International Programs (CSUIP) are some of the highest quality programs in California.
Independent International Experience: Students who want to participate in an international experience not sponsored by SJSU can submit an Independent International Experience Proposal [pdf].
Justice Studies or Forensic Science FLP's
Summer 2020 Program has been CANCELLED.
Professor Mary Juno is conducting a faculty led program (FLP) to Scotland. For more information contact Professor Mary Juno. The FLP is forensic science focused, but will satisfy major requirements for both forensic science (FS 160) and justice studies (JS 180). The course will be run from June 22nd to July 3rd, 2020, with on-campus meetings June 15th to June 19th, 2020. The program will cost approximately $4,465. You can apply for the program through the Study Abroad Programs Website. Deadline for applications is November 1st, 2019.
Professor Halima Kazem-Stojanovic is conducting a faculty led program (FLP) to Switzerland, Amsterdam, and New York City. For more information contact Professor Halima Kazem-Stojanovic. The FLP mass communications focused, but will satisfy human rights course requirements for both forensic science and justice studies majors, and human rights and legal studies minors. The course will be run from June 5th to June 21st, 2020. The program will cost approximately $4,715. You can apply for the program through the Study Abroad Programs Website. Deadline for applications is November 1st, 2019.
- Justice Studies Department Undergraduate Scholarships
- Justice Studies Department Graduate Scholarships
- Dean's International Scholarship
- SJSU Wide Scholarships
- USA Study Abroad Scholarships
- Education First Study Abroad Scholarships
Contact the IE Coordinator Dr. John Halushka for inquiries or more information about international experience.