The M.A. degree for each of our four concentrations consists of 30 units.
Our rapidly growing program currently has well over 100 students with varied interests, backgrounds, and goals.
Our alumni have successfully obtained jobs across the Bay Area, the state of California, the US, and abroad. In addition, the program has placed several students in top-tier doctoral programs across the US.
Students are selected to the program based on undergraduate academic achievement and
overall potential for success in the program, and in one of the following Graduate
Concentrations listed below.
Graduate Program Resources
Fall 2021 Graduate Admissions
Applications for Fall 2021 will open through the Cal State Apply website (https://www2.calstate.edu/apply). Application deadlines are as follows:
International: March 1st (all documents due March 20th)
Domestic: April 1st (all documents due April 20th)
Because we can only admit a certain number of students into each concentration, we strongly recommend that application materials be sent in earlier than the deadline. The application process is outlined on this webpage, and on the linked SJSU Graduate Studies page as well. Once all materials are in, your application will be evaluated by Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE). In approximately 2-3 weeks, they will be forwarded in the system to the KIN grad coordinator for evaluation, after which you will be notified of your status via MySJSU and mail. Please consult your MySJSU account regularly to check on status.
- Your letters of recommendation must be submitted via CalStateApply, and not sent to the
KIN graduate coordinator.
- As of 2019, the KIN graduate program no longer requires the GRE.
- The Department of Kinesiology no longer offers a Grad Athletic Program.
Please see the rest of this website for additional general information. In addition, please download and consult the Department of Kinesiology Graduate Handbook, which contains information related to the department and program. It should be your first stop when seeking an answer to any program question you may have. For additional questions, please send inquiries to the KIN graduate coordinator,
Dr. Ted Butryn, at email@example.com.
Current Admission Standards
The department of Kinesiology requires the following of all applicants seeking admission to classified standing in the MA -Kinesiology in addition to meeting requirements for admission to the Graduate Division:
- A baccalaureate degree with a major or minor in Kinesiology or successful completion of a maximum of 12 units of foundation coursework as assigned by the Graduate Coordinator or an assigned Academic Advisor.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 in the last 60 semester units (or 90 quarter units) of work.
- A fully completed Cal State Apply application, including the Statement of Purpose on the application.
- Two letters of recommendation (Upload into Cal State Apply during application process)
The graduate coordinator, in consultation with faculty, may approve conditional admission of a student who: meets the requirements for admission to the Graduate Division who has neither a major nor minor in Kinesiology; has a grade point average below 3.0 in the last 60 semester units (or 90 quarter units).
Thank you for your interest in the SJSU Department of Kinesiology Graduate Program, and best wishes in your journey towards your graduate degree. If there is anything you need, please do not hesitate to contact the current graduate coordinator, Dr. Ted Butryn, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upon finalizing your decision to study at San Jose State University in the Department of Kinesiology, make an appointment to speak to the Graduate Program Coordinator for an orientation to the department.
- Stay in Touch with your Academic Advisor
Students should select a faculty member to serve as their academic advisor. While it is recommended that the academic advisor be the person who will eventually be the thesis-KIN 299 or Plan B-KIN 298 advisor, it is not required. The academic advisor is the faculty member you consult throughout your studies regarding selection of your coursework and progression towards the Master of Arts degree.
- Obtain (via link at top of page) and use the Graduate Program Handbook as a resource. Refer to it frequently.
- Check for messages at MySJSU regularly. Notices from the university are posted there pertaining to your enrollment and progress to your degree.
- Regularly check the websites of the office of Graduate Studies and Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluation for deadlines, including when to file your candidacy form and application for graduation!