Prospective MSA Students
The Master of Science in Accountancy is a flexible 30-unit degree program designed for both accounting and non-accounting undergraduates who aspire to a profession in accounting. Coursework includes advanced financial reporting, auditing, taxation, IT auditing and financial statement analysis. Students with an undergraduate degree in accounting enroll in a course of study to earn a masters degree that fulfills the 30 additional units required for CPA licensure. Ambitious, highly motivated people with undergraduate degrees in liberal arts, sciences or business will need to complete the intensive Certificate in Accounting Fundamentals summer program before they can be admitted into the MSA degree program.
If you plan to become a CPA and want to live and work as a professional accountant in Silicon Valley, you will not find a better program than ours. Admission is offered each fall and spring* semester. Please see the MSA FAQ for details on admission requirements, English language proficiency and more.
Admission to the MSA program is offered each fall semester. These requirements are for ALL students and include:
- Four-year bachelors degree (any major) from an accredited U.S. college or university or an equivalent degree
from a recognized institution outside the United States.
For transcripts or degrees earned outside of the United States and Canada: Graduate Admissions (GAPE) requires that you submit a WES (Basic or ICAP) evaluation. Directions are available on the WES (World Education Services) website, https://www.wes.org/.
- A preferred GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale. (Professional Development and Certificate Program course work cannot be included in this calculation).
- GMAT/GRE waived: The GMAT/GRE requirement is waived for the MSA program for the Fall 2020 admission cycle. The program director may require an interview with applicants who take advantage of this waiver opportunity.
- GMAT or GRE (Spring 2021): Scores at the 50th percentile in both the quantitative and verbal sections of the
exam are considered competitive.*SJSU students are waived from the GMAT/GRE requirement. If you are an SJSU student or alumni you MUST complete the CSU application and the waiver request. Non-SJSU students are not eligible for a waiver.
Required prerequisite courses:
Statistics (lower division course)
Introductory Financial Accounting (lower division course)
Intermediate Financial Accounting I
Intermediate Financial Accounting II
Accounting Information Systems
Management Accounting and Control Systems
Taxation of Individuals and Flow-Through Entities
English Language Proficiency exam may be required if you have earned your degree outside of the United States. You may select one of these exams:
- TOEFL score of 90 or higher (IBT)
- IELTS score of 7.5 or higher
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- A personal interview may be conducted for each applicant
For detailed information on prerequisite requirements please select the link below that most closely matches your profile.I have an accounting degree or concentration earned from a U.S. institution
I have an accounting degree or concentration earned from an institution outside of the U.S.
I have no accounting courses
We accept applications for admission twice a year in the Fall and Spring. Applications open on August 1st and October 1st. We encourage you to apply early and closely monitor the progress of your application. (Applicants for spring must have already completed the required prerequisites).*
Applications for Fall open October 1 & close November 1
Document deadline – November 20
Applications for Fall open October 1 & close March 1
Document deadline – March 20
Applications for Spring open August 1 & close November 1
Document deadline - November 20
For your convenience, please use the tailored step-by-step application and document submission instructions below. These include the guidelines for your personal statement, letters of reference and exam scores. Choose the link below that applies to you:
- Program Type: Full-time
- Completion Time: 2 semesters
- Courses to complete degree: 10 courses (30 units)
- Schedule: Day and evening classes
- International Students F-1 Visa: Yes
- Admission: Fall and Spring (domestic only)
- Location: SJSU main campus
- Estimated Costs: $17,255 for CA residents and $29,135 for non-residents and international students