- Does the MST program require a specific undergraduate degree for admission?
- Are there prerequisite courses?
- GMAT/GRE information and waiver requests.
- Is there a minimum GPA required for admission?
- What do I need to do if I earned my degree outside the U.S.A.?
- Do I need an English language proficiency examination (TOEFL)?
- Can I get into a graduate program with a three-year bachelor's degree from India?
- Does the Lucas Graduate School offer scholarships for MST students?
1. Does the MST program require a specific undergraduate degree for admission?No. The MST welcomes applicants from all disciplines. Most applicants have an undergraduate
degree in accounting.
↑ Back to Top
2. Are there prerequisite courses?
Five accounting courses are required:Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting I and II and an undergraduate U.S. tax course. You’ll find more details on how to complete the prerequisites on our website. You must complete all five courses and submit your transcript to the Lucas Graduate School prior to orientation. The deadline for fall classes is August 1, and the deadline for spring classes is December 15. If you already have an undergraduate degree in accounting from a U.S. institution, you have satisfied the prerequisite courses. If you have earned an undergraduate degree in accounting from an institution outside of the United States, you will still need to complete a course in Tax (comparable to Tax Factors of Business and Investment Decisions) in an institution located in the United States.
3. GMAT/GRE information and waiver requests.
The GMAT or GRE is just one part of your profile. Scores at the 50th percentile in both the quantitative and verbal sections of the exam are considered competitive. We highly encourage you to prepare for the exam, take it as early as possible and retake it if you do not score competitively. Additional details about the GMAT/GRE requirement and conditional waiver criteria are outlined on our admissions page.
4. Is there a minimum GPA required for admission?
Ideally, your GPA should be a 3.0 or above for admission to the MST program. An absolute minimum GPA of 2.5 is required for graduate admission at SJSU.
5. What do I need to do if I earned my degree outside the U.S.A.?
Graduate Admissions requires a World Education Services document-by-document evaluation for all transcripts and degrees earned outside the United States, (Basic or ICAP). This applies to all applicants with international credentials, both domestic and foreign, with the exception of Canada. WES is a non-profit organization that conducts research on international education and trends and provides expert credential evaluation services. You can find an application and directions on the WES website.
If you graduated from a higher education institution in a country where the primary language is not English, you will need to take an English-language proficiency exam. The University minimum entrance is 213 (computer-based) or 80 (internet-based). The minimum score required on the IELTS is 6.5, and the minimum PTE score is 53.
SJSU does not accept English-medium of instruction as a substitute for an English-language proficiency exam
We can waive the examination if you have:
- Received a bachelors or masters degree from an accredited U.S. institution.
- Received a bachelors or masters degree from an accredited institution for which English is the official and primary language of that country.
- Completed three years of full time coursework in an accredited U.S. institution.
However, here are some general guidelines: If you continue your education in India, you might consider continuing your education in the same or related field from an accredited university and earn a master's degree in India. The 2 year master's degree plus the 3 years bachelor's in India is equivalent to the four years bachelor's degree in the U.S. We will also accept an additional year of coursework culminating in the Postgraduate Diploma from an accredited university that is in the same or closed related field as your 3 year bachelor's degree.
Note: Years of study must culminate in that degree's equivalency to the 4 years of comprehensive study in the U.S. Within the Indian educational system, we consider this culmination to be either the masters degree or the Post Graduate Diploma from an accredited university, therefore, you cannot simply take more courses without a resultant PG diploma or masters degree. If you earn the masters degree or postgraduate diploma in India we will need the provisional and final degree certificate upon graduation.
If you remain in the United States, it is recommended that students with a three-year degree apply for undergraduate admissions at a four year regionally accredited college or university as an upper division (junior or senior level) transfer student and complete a bachelor's degree. Depending on how many transfer units are awarded, it should take about two years of full-time study to earn a U.S. bachelor's degree. If you decide to do this, please make an appointment with an Undergraduate Admissions Counselor at the college you plan to attend who works closely with international transfer students. To meet with an admissions counselor at San José State, go to Student Outreach and Recruitment to view the pre-admission counseling hours or call 408-924-2564.
8. Does the Lucas Graduate School offer scholarships for MST students?
Once you’re enrolled, the Lucas Graduate School’s MST programs coordinator will alert you about scholarship opportunities as they arise. You may also visit the Financial Aid and Scholarship section of our website more information on SJSU scholarship opportunities as well as the types of financial aid available to graduate students. To be considered for financial aid students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid application. Please refer to their website for important filing dates.
You can find other MST scholarships here.
Questions? Contact the Lucas Graduate School.