Minoring in Math

Minor in Mathematics

Here are the requirements to obtain a minor in mathematics:
• Math 30
• Math 31
• One of Math 32 or 42 (Math 39, 33LA and 33A are also acceptable here)
• 3 upper division math classes numbered 108-179

Note that because of the overlap in the material, Math 129A/39 and Math
123/33LA can not both count towards the minor. The same also holds for the
following pairs of courses: Math 133A/33A and Math 123/33LA, Math 33LA/33A
and Math 134 (Prior ro fall 2020). You may use more than 6 courses to get the
minor but a minimum or 6 courses is required.

Another requirement for the minor is that 12 units must be distinct from your
major. Some Science and Engineering programs require several math classes.
As long as the math classes are “in preparation for your major” or “in support
of your major”, they can count as distinct. The catalog will indicate which
classes are in preparation for your major and which ones are in support of
your major.

  • Example 1. BS Computer Science Major
    For this degree program, students are required to take Math 30, 31, 42 and 39 in
    preparation for their major and those classes will count as distinct from the
    major. Note that courses that are used as major electives will not count as
    distinct. For example, if as CS major takes Math/CS 143C as a major elective, it
    will not count as distinct units (that’s ok because there are enough lower
    division distinct units) but will count as an upper division minor course.
  • Example 2. BS Mechanical Engineering Major
    For this degree program, students are required to take Math 30, 31, 32, 33A in
    preparation for their major and those classes will count as distinct.

How should you select upper division math classes.

Select the ones that interest you or that complement your major. Please check
the course prerequisites on the online catalog. Do not take a class if you have
not satisfied the prerequisites.

  • Pure Math classes: Math 108, 113, 115, 126, 128A, 128B, 129B, 131A, 131B, 138
  • More calculus: Math 112, 132
  • (Applied) Discrete Math: 127, 142, 146, 179
  • Applied Math: Math 134, 133B, 143C, 143M, 170, 177, 178
  • Statistics: Math 150, 161A, 161B, 162, 163, 164, 167R, 167PS

Is there a grade requirement?

Of course. You need to earn at least a C- on each course in the minor form.
Moreover, your minor gpa must be 2.00 or above.

How do you apply for the Minor?

Take the classes that you need for the minor. You may request an advising
appointment with the minor advisor if needed. The following paperwork
should be handed in around a year before you graduate – that’s when you
apply for graduation.

Complete the following two forms and submit them to
math-info@sjsu.edu. See Forms and Documents for the forms.

  • Change of Major/Minor form. This form requests to add the minor and
    can be found at the registrar’s website. Make sure you use the most
    recent version of the form.
  • The Minor Form. This form lists all the classes you are going to use to
    satisfy the minor requirements. Note that if you decide to change one of
    the classes in this form after it has been approved, you will need to fill
    out a substitution form which can also be found at the registrar’s