On this page:

Fall 2021 Advising

Welcome to Fall 2021!

Advising Appointments (regular semester)

If your major is officially Mechanical Engineering, you have completed more than 60 units (including community college), and you have not yet applied for graduation, you would see one of the designated ME faculty advisors for major advising. You may use either one of the following two options. Either option is equally valid for addressing your major advising hold. 

Before your appointment, fill out the advising form [pdf], save the completed form as a PDF file, and email it to the advisor whom you will be seeing. 

If you have completed 60 units or fewer, you would see an advisor from the Engineering Student Success Center for major advising (not one of the ME faculty advisors above). 

If you have already applied for graduation, you are welcome to meet optionally with either of the faculty advisors above, but advising is not mandatory. Holds will be lifted instead by ESSC. It is still very important to check your MyProgress report to ensure that all requirements will be met. If you have any doubts, please be welcome to email bsme-advising-group@sjsu.edu with you student ID number and a list of the classes that you plan to take in your last semester(s). 

If your major is not Mechanical Engineering but you are interested in applying, please refer to our Change of Major section below. 

General questions about BSME advising or degree requirements are welcome via bsme-advising-group@sjsu.edu.

For issues that are not ME-specific, ESSC offers appointments and live help at https://www.sjsu.edu/essc/coe-undergraduate-advising/advising/.

To Apply for Graduation

You will be sent directions via email about how to apply online once you are eligible. View directions.

If you are returning to SJSU after a long absence, check out the resources to apply.

Electives, Equivalency, General Education, and MyProgress Updates

Check out our updated list of technical electives [pdf]. You need two electives (6 units). Non-ME electives should be approved by an advisor. Typically only one non-ME elective will be approved.

If you have specific questions about General Education classes, it's best to visit the Engineering Student Success Center. If you took a class elsewhere and need to have it approved for equivalency to a technical SJSU class, submit a Transfer Equivalency Petition (TEP). If your class already shows up as equivalent on assist.org, you do not need an equivalency form. If your course equivalency request is approved, your MyProgress will be updated (but it may take several months).

If you find an error on MyProgress, where a class that should be counted as equivalent does not show up, email bsme-advising-group@sjsu.edu. Include your student ID, the original course requirement, and the course that you took. This sometimes is needed for ME 30 or Engr 10 as well as with certain technical electives taken outside the department. You do not need to do this if the course was approved with an equivalency form—then MyProgress will eventually be updated.

Undergraduate Probation/Disqualification

University Probation/DQ

  • You will be placed on probation with the university if your cumulative GPA in all college work attempted or SJSU coursework falls below a 2.0.
  • Check out the AARS website related to university probation and disqualification to find out the details of the policies.
  • Because ME is impacted (we have more interest from students than we have room), it is very difficult to get readmitted into ME once you have been disqualified from the university. Be proactive so this doesn't happen to you! Contact an advisor by emailing bsme-advising-group@sjsu.edu to discuss readmittance to the major.
  • People on probation with the university have a special "probation hold" on their accounts. You will be contacted by the Engineering  Student Success Center with specific steps that you need to take to remove that probation hold before you can register for classes the following semester. You should also limit the number of units you take to 12 (13 if you have a 4-unit class or a workshop) so that you can focus on improving your GPA.

Major Probation/DQ

You can be placed on major probation through two means:

  1. If your GPA in the courses required for the major falls below a 2.0, you will be placed on major probation. Check out the College of Engineering policy about major probation and disqualification
  2. If you receive lower than a C- in ME 101 Dynamics, you will be placed on probation. If you receive lower than a C- a second time, you will be disqualified from the major. Take advantage of instructor office hours and the workshops to help prevent this from happening.

If you are disqualified from the major, your major will be changed to "Undeclared". We will only entertain requests to get back into ME if something outside your control contributed towards your poor performance, such as a documented medical issue. Our hope is that students can find majors that are good fits with their interests and skills before they get too far into their degree programs.

Change of Major

If you are interested in changing your major to Mechanical Engineering, please check out the College Change of Major Process first.

Chances of Having Your Change of Major Request Being Approved

The Mechanical Engineering program is impacted, which means that a lot more people have requested this major than we have room to accept. Impaction unfortunately means that there is never a guarantee of acceptance, but the first formal step is to qualify for an approved Study Plan. Upon completing one's approved Study Plan, the decision is influenced primarily by strong academic performance, especially with respect to the coursework designated on the Study Plan.

In recent years, applicants who fit the following profile have been accepted into the major. This is not a formal policy, but rather information about recent success history. Thresholds may be higher when impaction is severe.

  • I have earned a grade of B- or higher upon first attempt in each of the courses on my approved Study Plan.
  • My GPA in all math, science, and engineering coursework at SJSU (including beyond my Study Plan) is 3.0 or higher.  
  • I have never had a grade below C- in any calculus or physics course. (Sometimes a repeat will be approved if recent grades are much improved.)
  • I have completed (or will have completed) Math 31 and Phys 50 before  completing 60 units of college-level coursework.

Not passing any course listed on the Study Plan generally means change of major will be denied. The "B-" estimate above does NOT mean after failing and retaking; it describes successful performance on first attempt.

In case acceptance doesn't work out, it is very wise to pursue other options in parallel. Other engineering majors are described at https://www.sjsu.edu/engineering/, and it is entirely permissible to apply to multiple engineering majors in parallel. 

The Career Center offers coaching to help with a choice of career and major.
Educational counseling can help with academic plans more broadly.

Whom to Contact to Start the Change of Major Process

If you have fewer than 45 units completed and have not yet completed Math 30 or enrolled in Phys 50 AND you are not currently an engineering major, you will need to meet with an advisor in the Engineering Student Success Center

If you are transferring from a different engineering major or have both completed Math 30 and enrolled in Phys 50 or have more than 45 units, send an email of interest to the ME advising email at bsme-advising-group@sjsu.edu. If in doubt, send an email to the ME advising email, and we'll direct you to the right place.