The SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19 disease, comes from a family of viruses that are known to cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. Older adults and persons with underlying medical conditions may be at higher risk from COVID-19.
Symptoms of COVID-19 infection include respiratory symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath, and fever. Additional symptoms may include sore throat, chills, headache, muscle pain, and new loss of taste or smell.
Symptoms may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure. A severe infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus can lead to serious acute respiratory and systemic illness.
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based rub if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Maintain social distancing of 6 feet between persons.
- Follow local public health guidelines and any shelter in place orders.
- Wear a face covering when out in public spaces.
If Symptoms Appear
If you feel ill with symptoms of fever, cough, sore throat or difficulty breathing:
- Get tested.
- Call your healthcare provider or the Student Health Center and tell them about your symptoms as needed.
All visits to the SJSU Student Health Center are confidential, as the university complies with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
If you have more questions, call your healthcare provider or the SJSU Student Health Center at 408-924-6122. The Student Health Center is available for advice and in-person, phone and televideo visits.
For information on local and free COVID-19 testing sites:
For information on authorized COVID-19 Vaccines:
Isolation & Quarantine Information
- Santa Clara County Isolation and Quarantine Guidance
- SC County Isolation & Quarantine for Congregate Settings [pdf]
Other Available Resources
The following resources are available with information on COVID-19:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Santa Clara Public Health Department: Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- California Department of Public Health: COVID-19 Updates
- World Health Organization: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak
- SJSU Health Advisories website