For those applying:

  • What is the deadline to apply?

The deadline for domestic students is April 1, with a document deadline of April 20. The deadline for international students is February 1. Most applicants will be notified of their status by May 1.

  • How do I apply to the Three Summer Music program?

Prospective students need to apply online to the both San José State University and the School of Music and Dance through Cal State Apply.

IMPORTANT: you must choose the Summer term AND Special Session when you apply. Please visit the How to Apply page on the Music Department’s website to get started on your application.

  • How much does the Three Summer Music program cost?

The cost of the 30-unit program is $11,640. This does not include housing, food, or transportation costs.  This program is a hybrid on-line and in-residency program, occupying six weeks per summer for three summers (preferably consecutive):  four weeks online, two weeks in residence at SJSU.

  • What are the requirements for admission into the Three Summer Music program?

 All students must meet SJSU graduate requirements, followed by department review. The department review is led by the Director and Assistant Director of the 3-Summer MA program.

 An undergraduate degree in music is highly desired.

 Applicants should have some teaching experience in a public school, community or church setting, or through private instruction.

For more information about admission to the university and the School of Music & Dance, 

  • What is the minimum TOEFL score required?

The minimum entrance score for the TOEFL is 590 (paper based), 243 (computer based), or 96 (internet based), with a score of 5 in the Writing Section, while the minimum score for the PTE is 68, the IELTS is 7.0.  All test scores must be less than 2 years old. Test scores must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service office to SJSU (institution code is 4687).

  • Is the GRE required to apply?

No, The School of Music and Dance does not require the GRE.

  • Is there financial aid available?

The Three-Summer Music Education Masters degree is a special session program and students are not eligible for federal or state aid.

For the recently admitted:

  • What are my parking options?

Employees and students have an option of purchasing either a semester permit or a single-day permit to park at SJSU. Visitors may purchase a single-day permit. To learn more about what type of permit you may need and where you can purchase permits, please visit the Parking Services website here.

  • Where can I eat on or near campus?

There are plenty of food options on campus, as well in the surrounding neighborhoods. Spartan Shops Dining Services provides an overview of all the on-campus dining options, with Union Square having the most dining options in one building.

  • What are my housing options?

This program is a hybrid on-line and in-residency program, occupying six weeks per summer for three summers (preferably consecutive):  four weeks online, two weeks in residence at SJSU. Finding affordable housing in Silicon Valley can be difficult, but there are ways SJSU can help. SJSU University Housing Services offers limited on-campus housing for graduate students, which you can learn more about that on their website. If the on-campus options don’t work for you, check out the off-campus housing resources.

  • Where do I get a Student ID?

Special Session and Open University students can get a Student Enrollment Identification Card after they have enrolled in a course. The Student Enrollment Identification Card allows students to:

 Acquire an SJSU Library Card to access student-only resources

 Obtain educational counseling at the counseling center

 Be eligible to purchase a VTA transit pass

Another option for admitted students is a Student Tower Card. However, Special Session and Open University students must first become a member of Associated Students (AS) by paying the Student Association Fee at the General Services Office (located in the east wing of the Student Union). More information can be obtained at the Transportation Center website.

Once the Student Association Fee has been paid, bring the receipt and a government issued photo ID to one of the Tower Card Windows, located in the Student Services Center next to the Cashiers windows, and a Tower Card will be issued for a fee of $5.00.