Camp FAQs

When Do We Arrive on the First Day? When Do We Leave on the Last Day?

Registration for all students will take place outside the main entrance to the School of Music and Dance between 3:00-5:00 p.m. on the first day of camp. To aide in the registration process, we ask that all woodwind players start to register at 3:00 p.m., brass at 3:30 p.m., and percussion at 4:00 p.m. Strings and vocalists may register anytime between 3:00 and 5:00 p.m. Once registered, campers will be directed to the appropriate room for their audition. Vocalists will not need to perform an audition. 

There are two concerts on Saturday. The 10:00 am concert includes the Concert Band and Orchestra. The second concert is at 2:00 pm and includes the Choir and Wind Ensemble. Each concert will last approximately two hours. Campers may leave after the conclusion of their concert.

Where Is the Camp Located?

The camp is located on the San José State University Campus, One Washington Square, San José, CA 95192-0095. Rehearsals take place in the School of Music and Dance building and adjacent buildings. Students have their meals in the university Dining Commons; resident campers stay in university residence halls. Upon arrival at camp, students will be given specific details regarding the location of their classes and rehearsals.

I Will Be Arriving from Out of Town; How Do I Get to Camp?

Any student arriving by bus, plane, or train must phone the camp at least one week in advance to make arrangements to be picked up by camp staff. The closest airport is the Norman Y. Mineta Airport in San José (SJC).

How Do I Apply?

Applications are due June 1 and must be accompanied by a $100 non-refundable application fee. Students interested in registration after the deadline should contact the camp office. Applications received after June 1 will be considered on a space available basis. Because enrollment is limited, we recommend that students apply early. Please instruct outside scholarship donors to submit funding before or with the camp registration. If scholarship funding is not received by this deadline, the parent/guardian will be responsible for payment in full.

Are Scholarships Available?

Yes, please visit the Financial Aid page.

How Do I Prepare for Placement Auditions?

All campers participate in auditions on the first day of camp to determine their placement into performance groups. Please visit the Auditions page.

What Performing Ensembles Are Available?

Campers select one main performing ensemble – band, orchestra, or choir (choral program is open to all choral students currently going into grades 8-12). We do not have ensembles for pianists or guitarists.  

What Should I Bring? What Should I Wear?

The Camp Booklet and other camp materials will be sent to all registered campers. Thse materials provide detailed information on how to prepare for camp. 

Where Will I Live? May I Choose My Roommate? Where Will I Eat?

Resident campers will be housed in residence halls on the SJSU campus. Campers are housed two campers to a room; men and women are housed separately. Students with particular needs regarding room assignment (e.g. accessible rooms, gender assignment) should include a statement about room needs with the application.

Campers may request specific roommates by e-mailing or calling the camp office. Both campers must request each other.

Three meals a day are provided in the cafeteria-style dining hall for all residents. Commuters are provided dinner on Sunday, lunch Monday through Friday, and dinner Friday.

What Happens If a Camper Chooses Not to Follow the Rules?

SITC camp is for students who want to be here. A student not following the rules and guidelines of the camp demonstrates that he/she may not actually want to be here. For a first offense, a warning is given, for a second offense, parents are called, and for a third offense, the camper may be asked to leave. If a camper is a resident and they are asked to leave, the parents/guardians will be held financially responsible for all transportation costs. No tuition refunds will be given, full or partial. 

Are the Campers Supervised During Free Time?

Yes. We have counseling staff who monitor and supervise the campers during evening events and some non-class hours. Our staff is comprised of men and women who are college age and older.

How Do I Know My Child Will Be Safe? Are the Campers Chaperoned?

We enforce a strict attendance policy by taking attendance in all classes and other events. We do a room check in the dorms at night. If the campers are not where we think they should be, we have procedures to find them quickly. Attendance problems may result in dismissal from camp without a refund.

Are Rental Instruments Available?

With advance notice, the camp is sometimes able to locate a limited number of large instruments for rental, such as tubas and string basses. Please contact the Summer Music Camp office for further information. Lockers are provided for instrument storage.

When is My Camp Final Payment Due?

Payment is due by June 15.

Why is the $100 Deposit Non-Refundable?

Processing costs are incurred with each application, even if the student does not attend camp.

Are Concerts Free and Open to the Public?

Concerts are free, non-ticketed events. Anyone is welcome to attend the concerts or ensemble performances. Campers will know their ensemble placement after auditions on the first day of camp. Concert details and schedules are available on the Camp Schedule (Coming Soon!) on our website.

What if My Child Takes Prescription Medications?

Prescription medications should be indicated on the required Emergency Information Form. All campers taking prescription medication during camp (resident and commuters) should drop off their medication at check-in and discuss distribution with the camp staff. All prescription medications must be administered to campers by camp staff. Campers who have inhalers must notify the camp staff; you may carry the inhaler with you, but the camp staff needs to know who requires them.

How do I know what to bring to camp and what not to bring to camp?

A list of suggested items can be found in the Camp Booklet.