Dietetic Internship Programs
Dietetic Internship Applicant Responsibilities
Most DIs Require Applicants to Complete a Two-Phase Process:
- Application Phase on Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System
- Computer Matching Phase on D&D Digital
1. Application Phase:
- Obtain current application materials from DI’s at least 6 months prior to the computer match in April and November
- GRE’s may be needed
- Request letters of recommendations from faculty/employers at least two months prior to application deadline
- Obtain Declaration of Intent or Verification Statement from the DPD Director
- Start the DI application on Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System.
- You will also need to mail, postmarked by the deadline date, a copy of the official transcript from each college and university you have attended to the following address:
DICAS Transcript Department
PO Box 9118
Watertown, Massachusetts 02472
- Send DICAS request to faculty/employers from whom you are requesting letters of recommendation
- Send DICAS request to DPD Director early (2nd week of January or 2nd week of August) to verify the Declaration of Intent or Verification Statement
- The DPD Director will need your most recent transcript to verify you on DICAS
2. Computer Matching Phase
- Applicants must register on the D&D Digital website, pay the $50.00 computer matching fee with a credit card and submit their prioritized list of selected dietetic internships online to D&D Digital before the designated deadline dates (refer to Dates for the Computer Matching Process for each appointment period).
- Applicants should call D&D Digital prior to the deadline if they do not receive an e-mail with login information.
- Each Applicant must register for matching with D&D Digital to create/modify their prioritized list of DI Internships for matching.
For more information on transcript evaluation and the dietetic technician pathway, visit:
- Instructions for DPD Transcript Evaluation for U.S. Students at SJSU
- Instructions for DPD Transcript Evaluation for Foreign Students at SJSU
- Instructions for Dietetic Technician Pathway
External Dietetic Internships
The external dietetic internship is a formalized post-baccalaureate educational program sponsored and usually administered by a hospital or medical school and accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The internship programs are designed to provide individual and supervised experience in order to meet the qualifications for practice in dietetics as a Registered Dietitian. The Department of Nutrition, Food Science, and Packaging maintains a current file on external dietetic internship programs and provides advising and assistance to students who wish to apply. The majority of external dietetic internships offered throughout the country average one year in duration.
Internal Dietetic Internships
The Department offers a dietetic internship. The SJSU DI is a seven-months, 1200 hours supervised experience for those students wishing to complete a field experience to qualify for the registration examination for dietitians administered by the Commission of Dietetics Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The SJSU DI is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The SJSU DI placement sites are located in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. For application requirements and additional information on the SJSU Dietetic Internship, please go to the SJSU Dietetic Internship Program homepage and also see the online Dietetics Internship Brochure [PDF].