Nutrition and Dietetic Technicians, Registered
Nutrition and dietetic technicians, registered are educated and trained at the technical level of nutrition and dietetics practice for the delivery of safe, culturally competent, quality food and nutrition services. They are nationally credentialed and are an integral part of healthcare and foodservice management teams. For more information visit the Commission for Dietetic Registration website.
Individuals who have completed both a bachelor’s degree and a Didactic Program in Dietetics accredited by the Accreditation Council for Nutrition and Dietetics, are able to take the registration examination for dietetic technicians without having to meet additional academic or supervised practice requirements (Option 2).
How to Apply for the Examination
- Contact the Didactic Program in Dietetics program director to inform that you would like to take the exam to become a NDTR.
- Provide an official final transcript.
- Complete the steps for requesting a Didactic Program in Dietetics verification statement.
- Review DTRE Misuse Form.
- Review the DTR Exam preparation.
- After the DPD program director has submitted your information to the Commission for Dietetic Registration, you will receive an email requesting that you complete your personal demographic information and a survey. In order to avoid delays in the processing of your application, complete these requirements as soon as possible.
- After your application has been approved by the Commission for Dietetic Registration, your information will be sent to Pearson VUE. Within 48 hours of approval, Pearson VUE will send you an Authorization to Test email allowing you to schedule your exam.
Detailed Instructions for Dietetic Technician Pathway [PDF].
Please note: NDTR paperwork will be processed by the DPD Director to be sent to the Commission for Dietetic Registration twice a year only. Please make sure to submit all the required documents to the DPD Director by February 28 or June 30.